Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 8

Emails given to another person

Go to solution

Bit of an odd question so work with me here. Some years ago my father who is the BT account holder set me up with my own email address ending with @btinternet.com. I did at the time have some privacy concerns so is there any possibility that he could have accessed the contents of my mailbox due to the fact that he is the account holder and thus is the one who created my email address in the first place? I don't remember the email address bring "gifted" or at least nothing using that term but that could well be the case but I don't recall needing to make my own password at the time or follow any sort of link. It was created in I think 2014 and later deleted in 2019. Like I said a bit odd but I have my reasons. Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Emails given to another person

Go to solution

If your father created the email account and gave it to you without having "gifted" it he would have retained the ability to manage it and access it because it is still one of his email accounts.

He would, when setting it up have also set up a password and you would not have been able to change it on your own. Only the "master" account holder would have been able to do that.

He would have been able to access the email account through his MyBT or by directly logging on to it or by logging onto his own "master" email account and using a drop down box that would show all the email accounts that were still under his management. The drop down facility has since been removed and is no longer available.

If he "gifted" the email account to you you would have had to "accept" the email account and set up a BTID so that you could manage the email account. This would have allowed you to change the password without the "master" account holder's intervention. He would not have been able to access the email account through any route other than if he knew the password.

Once an email account is "gifted" the "master" account holder loses all management rights except the ability to delete the email account.

See link about "gifted" email accounts. The BTMail system has been changed over the years so some of the things mentioned in the link are only relevant to today's system and were not necessarily the same in 2014 although the gifting process was the same.

Creating BT Email addresses? | BT Help

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Ok thanks. I did ask him at one point and if I recall he said he had the ability to make email addresses for other people (up to 11 is it?) Then delete them so I think just create and delete but he said he could not access the contents. I wish I could recall better how it got done but that's what he told me.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Logically I think he followed this 

Screenshot_20230429-235224.png

I mean logically he had no reason to read any of my email mailbox content and from memory I had my own local user area on the shared PC and my email address was only set up on there. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

It doesn't matter on what device you had it on. You can access email accounts on any device if you use webmail on a browser.

If you had your own BTID and you could access MyBT using your own details and password that you set up then it is likely he gifted it to you.

If he only used the process you have posted above he would be able to access the email account because that is not gifting it.

Other than that there is nothing further I can add.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@Anonymous  If you still have concerns that Dad can access and read your private emails, simply change your password.

After several days of silence, you can be assured your emails were always private. If he suddenly asks if your emails are OK, then perhaps he knew your password. Success!

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Yes I'm probably just being paranoid and this account in question was deleted in 2019 anyway so it was more a retrospective thing. He said before he could create and delete but not read my contents without a password. Presumably he needed to make a password though in order to set up the account but nevermind now. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Just because he could access the email account doesn't mean he did.

Just because he could access the email account doesn't even mean he knew he could.

It would appear that no matter what he said, you don't believe him so he is in a "no win" situation and all you are doing is giving your self a load of unanswered questions or rather questions to that you can't get the answer you want.

The account is closed. Time to move on.