cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DougH1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 38

Emails have disapeared from by Sent Box

Can somebody help me.  Emails in my Sent Box disappeared on all my devices, ie PC, laptop, tablet on the 11 June, however  emails in my Sent Box on my mobile before the  6 June remained, subsequent ones also had disappeared. I have sent several emails since the 11th which until this morning were retained in the Sent Box.   They have now disappeared.  What's going on ?

0 Ratings
37 REPLIES 37
Earlybird
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 38

Re: Emails have disapeared from by Sent Box

I have the same problem. Emails I have sent since Friday 12th June do not appear in my SENT folder either on PC (using MS Outlook) or mobile (using Gmail).  I know they were sent OK because I have replies in my inbox from the people I sent them to. I think I have been migrated to the new BT servers but it is not clear. What is going on!

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 38

How are your email clients apps, Outlook and Gmail app set up. Are the set up as an IMAP account or a POP3 account?

Have you checked their settings to see if the have the box "save a copy of send messages in sent folder" or however it is worded in each email client, is ticked?

If you log onto your email account using a browser have you check in the settings which you can find by clicking on your user name then going to "Mail" that the box "save sent messages" is ticked?

0 Ratings
Earlybird
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 38

I have made no change to my PC system (IMAP) and confirmed that the "save sent emails in the sent folder" was indeed set. Yet sent emails stopped being saved in my Sent folder in Friday/Saturday. I checked my Outlook account settings and found that the outgoing message config was set up for smtp.mail.yahoo.com but this was no longer being accepted when I tried to save the account details. So I changed it to mail.btinternet.com which was accepted.Although I have not been informed, I suspect I have been changed from Yahoo to BT servers and some different server config has caused the issue. Outgoing emails are now saved in the Sent folder OK.

0 Ratings
DougH1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 38

Thank you for your helpful comments.

I have tried to establish if my system is IMAP or Pop3 and having read in some BT help papers, found that I can do this by opening  Settings and highlighting the mail account.  However I  can't highlight the account and have not been able to establish which system I am operating.  I have noted that in the Profile section of the Settings, by "First Name is recorded as my email address, my Last is left blank and my email address is correctly recorded but in the faintest ghost. (do you think this has any relevance ?) 

I have opened the Mail section of my "Settings" and the "Save Sent Messages" has been ticked.

I wonder if you have any further thoughts  

Regards

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 38

In order to establish if your BT email account is on the BTYahoo or BTMail system you need to log onto the email account using a web browser (webmail). Once logged on look at the BT logo. If you see Yahoo anywhere it means you are on the BTYahoo system.

If you only use webmail you do not need and indeed can not change any of the mail server settings.

If you are using an email client/app you need to check if you have the correct server setting and if they are not correct you need to change them.

See link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/updating-your-bt-email-settings

To establish if your email client/app is using the IMAP or POP3 format you need to go into the email client/app"s settings and check. How you do that will depend on which email client/app you are using.

Other people have reported the emails disappearing from the sent folder so it may well be a BT problem rather than one of your settings being incorrect but you should still check that it is the BT servers and not the Yahoo servers that you are using.

0 Ratings
DougH1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 38

Thanks for your message and your link. After checking  I am certain that I am on BT and not the yahoo system.  Like some other people,  I have not interfered or altered any settings.  The emails have just vanished. Thanks for your previous help and suggestions.

0 Ratings
Earlybird
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 38

I can confirm I am now on BT and not Yahoo server. Although BT sent a general email saying that some people were to be moved from Yahoo to BT servers and they would be individually notified, I was not notified. Bad form that I had to find out by myself because of a problem.

Having made the change in my PC email client (Outlook) to use mail.btinternet.com, and resetting "save outgoing message in Sent folder" (or words similar), my sent emails are now appearing in the sent folder OK.

Problem solved.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 38

@Earlybirdwrote:

Having made the change in my PC email client (Outlook) to use mail.btinternet.com, and resetting "save outgoing message in Sent folder" (or words similar)

What server were you using?

0 Ratings
Earlybird
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 38

smtp.mail.yahoo.com. I recall being told to use that many years ago when for some reason I was unable to use mail.btinternet.com.

0 Ratings