cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephendunk
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Emails not arriving straight away

Is anyone else having an issue with emails not being delivered straight away? Every day at about 3 a.m. I receive a number of emails that have been sent up to 24 hours earlier. It's annoying because I know that other people have received the same emails, and I just have to wait in the hope they arrive eventually.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Emails not arriving straight away

Please check the email headers to find out where the delay is happening.

Please also describe whether you are using BT Yahoo or BT Mail and if you are using webmail or an email client.

0 Ratings
stephendunk
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

I don't understand what you mean by look at the headers to see where the delay is happening.

I use BT Yahoo but my email address is .btinternet.com - so i'm not 100% sure  - and when things are not arriving in my Outlook I have checked my webmail and they are not there either. Nor in spam either.

I do use a matching email service with my own personalised domain name that forwards into BT mail.

It's not everything..... but everything appears around 3 a.m. - not necessarily the next day, could be a day later.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Assuming you are using Outlook 2010 (other versions may differ), select the email, click on the File tab and then click on Properties. The full email headers will then be displayed which you can inspect and view times it was received by the various servers en-route.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

@stephendunk wrote:

I don't understand what you mean by look at the headers to see where the delay is happening.

I use BT Yahoo but my email address is .btinternet.com - so i'm not 100% sure  - and when things are not arriving in my Outlook I have checked my webmail and they are not there either. Nor in spam either.

I do use a matching email service with my own personalised domain name that forwards into BT mail.

It's not everything..... but everything appears around 3 a.m. - not necessarily the next day, could be a day later.

Stephen,

Email headers need to be read from bottom to top.  
The text in red gives the time an email was received by the indicated server.

The time needs to be corrected for the timezone of the server.

This should indicate where the delay is happening.
Note that personal information has been changed.

If you need help with this let us know.

Email headers look something like this:

X-Apparently-To: YYYYYYYYYY@XXXXXXXXXX.CO.UK; Thu, 30 Jul 2015 21:23:39 +0000
Received-SPF: none (domain of community.bt.com does not designate permitted sender hosts)

X-Originating-IP: [46.19.168.11]
Authentication-Results: mta1173.mail.ir2.yahoo.com from=community.bt.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig); from=community.bt.com; dkim=neutral (no sig)
Received: from 127.0.0.1 (EHLO smtp2.lithium.com) (46.19.168.11)
by mta1173.mail.ir2.yahoo.com with SMTP; Thu, 30 Jul 2015 21:23:39 +0000
Received: from ams1papp20.am.lithium.com (am-lb-VIP-VLAN90.am.lithium.com [10.50.90.6])
by smtp2.lithium.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id E7E573B015C
for <YYYYYYYYYY@XXXXXXXXXX.CO.UK>; Thu, 30 Jul 2015 23:23:38 +0200 (CEST)
X-DomainKeys: Sendmail DomainKeys Filter v1.0.2 smtp2.lithium.com E7E573B015C
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 23:23:38 +0200 (CEST)
From: BTCare Community Forums <AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA@community.bt.com>
To:
Message-ID: <2115936437.19678.1438291418950.JavaMail.lithium@ams1papp20.am.lithium.com>
Subject: Re: Emails not arriving straight away (BTCare Community Forums
Subscription Update)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_Part_19677_376924292.1438291418948"

0 Ratings