cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Emails sending OK on PC via Outlook via - but cannot get them to send on iphone ......

Go to solution

i have an odd issue 

i am using my BT smtp server to send emails from my PC and this has been working just fine for approx. 6 years and still works fine 

but when i try to set up my iphone to send emails via the same bt server i cannot seem to get the settings right 

its a non bt email address i have had forever from freedom to surf  - so i use their servers for incoming and that works fine on both PC and phone  - its just sending on the iPhone i would like to sort out.

i assume its just a settings issue since the pc can send fine - but i cant seem to sort it 

others must have come across the same thing ?

any answers very much appreciated 

can post the settings that work on the PC if that would help 

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Emails sending OK on PC via Outlook via - but cannot get them to send on iphone ......

Go to solution

You can only send from BT servers by authenticating with a btinternet.com email address. Use the smtp settings you are using in Outlook to send. I suspect your iPhone is attempting to use either your incoming server for outgoing mail or trying to authenticate using your non-bt address.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Re: Emails sending OK on PC via Outlook via - but cannot get them to send on iphone ......

Go to solution

thanks for your input Licquorice - i have tried many combinations but jus cant seem to get it to work on the iphone despite it working fine on the PC some setting is obviously off somewhere - but the setup pages are quite different for each device so its hard to know what to change 

The outgoing server setting that work on my PC are as follows

Server: mail.btinternet.com

Encryption: none

Require logon via secure password authentication: unchecked

My outgoing server requires authentication: checked

Log on using username and password: checked

Username: myemail@f2s.com

Password: ****************(the password for the BT email)

But the setup options are quite different on the iphone

Host name: mail.btinternet.com

Username: myemail@f2s.com

Password: ********* (the password for the BT email)

Use SSL: unchecked

Authentication: password

Server port: 25

The iphone also will not verify this server  - after a good while sitting their with a little wheel turning it says unable to verify  - and then will not allow you to save it as primary – but will save it as secondary and you can manually set that to “on” so it should still try to use that if no primary works. But this issue is clearly secondary as some setting is stopping the iphone from verifying and using the BT smtp as primary

What am I missing / doing wrong ?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Several things. Port should be 465 and SSL selected. Username should be your btinternet email address

Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

awesome - thanks for the lightning fast response

i had naively thought that since the above port and email settings worked on the PC they would on the phone .....

OK trying that now  - will report back 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

The fact that they work on the PC is a surprise to me.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

ok those settings verified - but the iphone still will not send  - just says check the settings for the outgoing servers 

tried deleting the account and setting up a fresh one  - just in case that helped 

the setup went fine - but it said it could not use SSL and did i want to continue anyway - so i said yes 

on checking the settings  - in outgoing -  it found port 465 by itself  - and SSL is selected 

on incoming - with the f2s server - it did not select SSL and is using port 143 and collecting emails fine 

any ideas ?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Being an Android user I'm not familiar with iPhones, but is there a setting anywhere to confirm different servers and username are being used for incoming and outgoing. Also check that secure password authentication hasn't been checked if you can find a setting for that, it should be plain authentication as the connection is already encrypted.

Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

kind of - the iphone is kind of set up to be dumbed down to work for 90% of users - but it means you cant always see what its doing when things are not working 

anyway - I deleted the old f2s account that hadn't been working on the iphone - so i had no f2s email accounts on the phone - then added a fresh f2s account with the settings you suggested above  - and ITS WORKING!!

something was obviously going on under the hood that was messing it up.

this had been bugging me for around 12 months!!! 

you are a star!! 

0 Ratings