Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
c_wks
Beginner
Message 1 of 38

Emails to @btinternet.com addresses bouncing back

For 3 days now emails I send to anyone with a @btinternet.com address have bounced back.  I have tried three different email clients including webmail.  I have had my hosting company check everything their end and they say all is correct and working ok. I can send to any other email address OK. Just @btinternet.com addresses bounce.

I CAN send to @btinternet.com addresses from another @btinternet.com address but not from other external domain (I've now tried two different ones - same issue) to bt email servers!!

Error message is

SMTP error from remote server for GREETING command, host: mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk (65.20.0.49) reason: 554 rgin05.bt.int.cpcloud.co.uk Service not available - access denied

BT refuse to help as it works from btineternet.com to btinternet.com.

I see in the past this has been a recurring problem.  Any suggestions on how to get BT to resolve it?

37 REPLIES 37
Fryup
Beginner
Message 2 of 38

Re: Emails to @btinternet.com addresses bouncing back

I am on the receiving end of this as a bt customer. I receive messages as part of a group email and recently all btinternet addresses have been bouncing back to the sender, detected as spam, unless he sends it in plain text (rather than the usual html). We’ve both searched for a better solution but haven’t found one yet.
c_wks
Beginner
Message 3 of 38

Yes that is exactly the situation we are seeing.  BT only offering"help" to people recieving I was told, so one person I spoke to there suggest I contacted all the people I was sending to, where it had baounced back, and got them to ring BT!

So I called their bluff and rang again this time as a "reciever"  - not a lie, as I was actually that (as well as the sender using another account) and the recieving email address was my @btinternet.com one.  All they did was go through my email settings to confirm they were all correct anyway and then say they couldn't help any more I'd have to contact the sender and get them to sort it out!!

Talk about going round in circles.

Anyway, after my last long call with them, when they said there was nothing wrong/couldn't help, mysteriously 10 minutes later the problem went away!

I expect it to come back again though as it has done in the past.  I am convinced this is a problem BT end as it has happened when sending from two different email accounts hosted by two different ISP's, and ONLY happens with @btinternet.com recieving addresses.

c_wks
Beginner
Message 4 of 38

I am now getting the problem intermittently.  If it occurs I wait about 30 mins and try again and then it usually works.  It is getting really annoying.

Pleshey02
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 38

I am getting the same problem - around half the emails my wife has sent me on my @btinernet.com email addresses today are bouncing back to her with the same error message as mentioned in this string:

SMTP error from remote server for GREETING command, host: mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk (65.20.0.49) reason: 554 rgin03.bt.ext.cpcloud.co.uk Service not available - access denied

This is intermittent and some are getting through, also I am receiving email from others.  Clearly it is hard to tell what is not being delivered.  This is not happening to other emails my wife is sending to other servers, so it looks like a BT problem.

Any others getting this issue?

Please could the moderator take this up with BT mail?  Thanks

Paul8
Message 6 of 38

I've having the same problem.

I tried to send an email to 14 addresses, all worked except for the 7 btinternet.com ones which bounced with the same error as above.

Retried twice more over the following hour and they all failed again.

There is clearly a problem with the BT system.

As requested by Pleshey02 will the moderator take this up with BT.

Thanks

0 Ratings
VLT
Contributor
Message 7 of 38

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/BT-Email-bounce-backs/td-p/1459015 

This is a slight variation on an old problem.

BT alter to suit thermselves and leave everyone playing catcup.

now into second hour on phone to 1&1!

0 Ratings
VLT
Contributor
Message 8 of 38

As a matter of interest who is your host, please? I have just spent an hour and a half on the phone to 1&1.

Vyv
0 Ratings
VLT
Contributor
Message 9 of 38

1&1 are, hopefully, escalating this. I will await feedback.
0 Ratings
Pleshey02
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 38

I did "online help" on this yesterday afternoon .... they asked which of my btinternet emails were affected and they promptly changed passwords on both accounts (!), then asked me to log into both emails via webmail (which I did, no problem) and then told me to change the passwords back using password change .... and then pormptly cut me off the online help before I could ask for some test emails to be sent (!!) .... emails seemed to go ok after that until last night when some more sent to me were bounced ....  seems ok this morning.  The intermittent nature of this issue is concerning.  Any news from the moderator?

0 Ratings