Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 31 of 38

Re: Emails to @btinternet.com addresses bouncing back

@ricardianwrote:

I think I've solved the problem by dumping BT as my ISP and signing up with SSE. Saving £30 a month (BT = £52, SSE = £22) and because I already have SSE as my electricity supplier the price is frozen for 3 years

It doesn't actually solve the problem.

The problem is BTinternet email (and indeed maybe other ISP dedicated emails too).

0 Ratings
ricardian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 38

@Andy_Nwrote:

@ricardianwrote:

I think I've solved the problem by dumping BT as my ISP and signing up with SSE. Saving £30 a month (BT = £52, SSE = £22) and because I already have SSE as my electricity supplier the price is frozen for 3 years

It doesn't actually solve the problem.

The problem is BTinternet email (and indeed maybe other ISP dedicated emails too).

It's early days but I have sent out several bulk emails which usually get one or two bounces but nothing has bounced so far.

0 Ratings
AgentFruit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 38

So I’ll add to this thread by saying that I’m getting this problem too. It’s extremely irritating as people who’ve been emailing me for years are suddenly finding emails bouncing back, or simply disappearing for a week until they bounce back. My domains are also hosted by 1&1 with email forwarding to BT. Ironically I moved my domains from Easily as they had a similar but worse problem whereby ALL emails to BT were bounced when they upgraded their servers. Easily kept very quiet about it and didn’t even respond to support enquiries, but when they eventually did they said they were “working on it” with no timeframe. Clearly the problem lies with BT and their non-discerning spam filters. 

0 Ratings
ricardian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 38

It is now 4 weeks since I changed my ISP from BT to SSE. In that time I have sent 30 or 40 bulk emails and not one has bounced back.

0 Ratings
VLT
Contributor
Message 35 of 38

The issue appears to have been resolved (quietly). Now waiting for the next manifestation when BT changes the rules again.

0 Ratings
AgentFruit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 38

I emailed the CEO with a copy of the bounceback message. Within 12 hours I had a detailed reply from one of his team, explaining that the problem occurs with 1&1 email forwarding until 1&1 sort their side out. He gave the full fix which I passed to 1&1, and hey presto it’s sorted. At the same time I decided to upgrade my broadband, and have subsequently had regular phonecalls and emails from two chaps in the CEO’s team, checking that everything is going ok. I have direct dial numbers to call. I don’t recognise this company!
0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 37 of 38

@AgentFruitwrote:
I emailed the CEO with a copy of the bounceback message. Within 12 hours I had a detailed reply from one of his team, explaining that the problem occurs with 1&1 email forwarding until 1&1 sort their side out. He gave the full fix which I passed to 1&1, and hey presto it’s sorted. At the same time I decided to upgrade my broadband, and have subsequently had regular phonecalls and emails from two chaps in the CEO’s team, checking that everything is going ok. I have direct dial numbers to call. I don’t recognise this company!

What was the fix? Was it specific to BT?

The question still begs is to why 1&1 have always denied it was them. Also, why didn't this seem to apply to other mail providers?

0 Ratings
AgentFruit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 38

1&1 needed to add SPF records to all my domain names that have email forwarding to BT. Tbh having had an almost instant response and several chats with the BT chaps, and two days of silence from 1&1 who eventually managed to work it out when they read the instructions, I’m pretty clear where the blame lies. BT explained that the requirement exists to prevent spam, and that 1&1 should automatically add the SPF records when they set up email forwarding. Made sense to me.
0 Ratings