cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

Empty Inbox in Microsoft Outlook

Hi all,

I am troubleshooting an E-Mail problem with a brand new installation of Outlook for Office 365 running under Windows 10.

The problem is that although my E-Mail account can be setup successfully with IMAP, the Inbox folder refuses to sync and remains empty, despite hundreds of messages showing when I access it through BT Yahoo webmail. All other folders such as 'Sent' and sub-folders of Inbox that I have manually created do sync and the messages within those folders show up normally in Outlook. Strangely, my Gmail account works correctly under Outlook, and my BT address works correctly in other mail clients such as the Windows 10 Mail app and Mozilla Thunderbird. My BT address also worked correctly with IMAP before the upgrade under Windows 7 and Outlook 2010.

In addition to the lack of messages in the inbox, I have also found it is impossible to move any message into the Inbox from another folder. When I try, I get this error:

'Cannot move the items. You don't have permission to create an entry in this folder. Right-click the folder, and then click Properties to check your permissions for the folder. See the folder owner or your administrator to change your permissions'.

When I right click the Inbox folder and click on Properties there is no sign of any permission options, and when I click on 'Folder Size...' the 'Size (without subfolders):' is shown as 0 KB.

I have taken the following steps to try and rectify the problem:

- Removed the account, double checked the server settings and set it up again (no change).

- Checked for and installed Office 365 updates (updates were installed but no change).

- Set up the account in a separate Windows 10 user profile with no other accounts or Outlook data (no change).

- Removed messages from the inbox, first in batches of 100 and later all messages into a sub-folder temporarily, in case one bad message was causing the problem (no change, although the moved messages did show up in the sub-folder).

- Setup the account on a different computer with a different Internet connection - also Windows 10 and Office 365 (no change).

- Setup the account with an alternative IMAP server address - imap.mail.yahoo.com (no change).

- Experimented with the 'Root folder path' setting (setting this to 'Inbox' did allow me to see the Inbox but no other folders).

I am now at a complete loss and can only conclude this is some sort of obscure server problem that is showing up in the latest version of Outlook but not other mail clients.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem and can anyone from the BT Community Team help get it sorted please?

As it is unclear where the trouble lies I am also intending to post about the problem on the appropriate Microsoft forum.

Thank you,

Ian.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Re: Empty Inbox in Microsoft Outlook

Morning,

I'm encountering the same issue. Did you find a solution?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Empty Inbox in Microsoft Outlook

Hi saxonarms, your description is exact for the same issue I’m having.

Have you managed to obtain a solution for this yet?

0 Ratings