Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sheffgraph
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Empty emails sent from my Talk 21 account but NOT by me

Go to solution

Hi all: I use my Talk 21 account mostly for my business and in the past couple of weeks 2 clients have contacted me (via email) to inform me they've received blank/empty emails from me. I can see the empty email and the address is definitely mine but I haven't sent these emails, nor do they appear in my sent mail mail.

After the second one, I changed my email password to a very strong one but today was the third time, 2 of which went to the same person and both had the same subject/title - a title that is relevant to the client but as I say, no message, no attachment.

Can anyone offer any advice? Many thanks in anticipation,

sheffgraph

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Empty emails sent from my Talk 21 account but NOT by me

Go to solution

Somebody has simply spoofed your email address. Nothing you can do about I'm afraid except warn your contacts of mails purportedly coming from you are not necessarily genuine and to be careful.

Your account was possibly hacked at some point in the past and your address book stolen.

sheffgraph
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Yes, I believe it was licquorice as I received an email from Apple telling me my ID had been used in the States whilst I was in Spain. I eventually managed to delete the Apple ID account but this is probably the person responsible. Maybe time to close this account. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

0 Ratings
sheffgraph
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Excuse my ignorance licquorice but if I close my Talk 21 account, will all my archived emails vanish (from my MacMail for example)?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I'm not familiar with Mac Mail, but presumably as it is a mail client there is the possibility of creating offline folders to move the mails to so they are held independently on your machine just to be sure they are not deleted when you close the account. 

Be aware, closing the account won't prevent the scammers spoofing the address but at least you can advise your contacts that any mail from that address does not come from you.

sheffgraph
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I'll look into your advice regarding offline folders and yes, that would be my intention. Tell them the account is officially closed and any subsequent emails are not from me. Thanks again.

0 Ratings