cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Angela1996
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Enter your user name and password for the following server

I can go weeks and months without getting this message and then get it constantly for days on end, changing my password and security question each time.  The error is 0x800CC92 basically saying the server has rejected my user name and password.

Before I go mad can anyone suggest anything, in non techy speak please? Smiley Sad

Spoiler
Spoiler
Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Cilgwyn
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Enter your user name and password for the following server

Yahoo seems to be having one of its periodic wobblers, I think tihe last one was 3 or 4 weeks ago.   It's been going on for years.  I've heard from a BT person that Yahoo won't do anything about it until BT report over a threshold number of complaints which can take a few days.  To be fair, BT did acknowlege the problem the last time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Don't change your password, it won't help.

0 Ratings
Cilgwyn
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

...In response to your actual question:  if you feel strong enough report it ot the help desk and ask for an email person.

0 Ratings
Angela1996
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

That bad is it!
0 Ratings
Cilgwyn
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

BT statement:

We're aware of intermittent problems logging in to BTYahoo webmail, sorry if you're affected. We're working to fix it as soon as possible.

My problems are with POP not webmail and are continuous!

0 Ratings
interalia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

I'm also using POP3 (in Thunderbird), not webmail, and it's just the same - throwing up login/password failures on all my BT accounts.

Press now starting to report on it -- Daily Express -- and it's not just affecting the UK.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@interalia wrote:

I'm also using POP3 (in Thunderbird), not webmail, and it's just the same - throwing up login/password failures on all my BT accounts.

Press now starting to report on it -- Daily Express -- and it's not just affecting the UK.

Where do you think Thunderbird retrieves your email from? If there is a server problem it will affect access to your email account.

0 Ratings
interalia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

"Just the same" was merely an expression, albeit used rather sloppily. Of course Thunderbird retrieves messages from the server, and I didn't intend to suggest otherwise; merely that I was getting the same with an email client as people who were using webmail. In other words, it wasn't (as I had wondered initially when the problem arose) an issue with Thunderbird getting its knickers in a twist, which does happen sometimes. Sorry if my earlier message didn't come up to scratch.

0 Ratings