cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deanm1968
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Error 522 - industry blacklist to prevent Spam

My Email client (Outlook) decided on Monday that it didn't want to send any more messages and I have been receiving the following message whenever I try to send

Sending' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Cannot send the message. Verify the email address in your account properties. The server responded: 522 Sorry, we couldn't send your message. The network address your device has been assigned is on an industry blacklist to prevent Spam. The problem should be addressed by your network service provider. Please try again later or use webmail.'

I have turned off the router for 30 minutes as suggested in another thread, BT support don't want to know as it is an email client and not webmail. My settings are exactly as they should be according to the BT website.

I can send via webmail but this is not practical all the time.

The statement "the problem should be addressed by your network service provider." surely points to an issue with BT but their "support team" are adamant it's nothing to do with them.

Any help would be much appreciated

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
waulkmillfh
Beginner
Message 2 of 4

Re: Error 522 - industry blacklist to prevent Spam

I have a similar problem although (and maybe totally coincidentally)has only arisen since having to reinstall Windows 0 operating system and Outlook (part of Office 365) I have a BT Home Hub which communicates via WiFi with my PC and also a 4G router which I have an Ethernet cable connection to my PC.. I was wondering if it was something to do with the 4G router being plugged in but having plugged and unplugged it maybe not....maybe an email to the Chief Exec as I have done before might elicit a response from BT....

0 Ratings
deanm1968
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

It turns out that my email address had been blacklisted by SPAMHAUS.

Go to their website

https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/ 

and enter your ip address. If you have been blacklisted it will then inform you. You can then request you are removed from the blacklist. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes

Hopefully this will resolve your issue.

I spoke to a number of people via chat at BT and with the exception of one person, a lady called Dee, no one was prepared to accept that there was even a problem. They said that they didn't support any email client and would only help if I was logged onto their webmail.

Customer service......

0 Ratings
waulkmillfh
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Wow no ordinary mortal would ever know about Spamhaus!!! thank you very much indeed for that

0 Ratings