Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
supergenius
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Error 522 - insecure or untrusted connection

Go to solution

I have been using the same 2 btinternet e-mail addresses for about 10 years now.  I use Outlook as an e-mail client and am still on the BTYahoo mail platform.  Yesterday I found that I was unable to send e-mails via Outlook from one of my addresses due to an error 522 - "your message has not been sent as you are accessing your email over an unsecure or untrusted connection".   I am able to log onto BTYahoo web mail and send e-mails from there but not through Outlook.  My other e-mail address is unaffected.  I have tried changing my password but that has had no effect.  I tried deleting that e-mail account in Outlook and re-installing it but received and error message that Outlook could not connect to the outgoing mail server.  Fortunately I had backed up my Outlook.pst file prior to deleting the account and was able to replace the .pst file and get it all back.  I have suffered for years the problem with accessing e-mails through Outlook and having to change my password regularly but this is the first time that this problem has arisen.  There seem to have been one or two  similar questions a few years ago but nothing seems to have been resolved.  This is my business e-mail account and I need to be ab;e to use it.  How can I get it back. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Error 522 - insecure or untrusted connection

Go to solution

@supergeniuswrote:

I have been using the same 2 btinternet e-mail addresses for about 10 years now.  I use Outlook as an e-mail client and am still on the BTYahoo mail platform.  Yesterday I found that I was unable to send e-mails via Outlook from one of my addresses due to an error 522 - "your message has not been sent as you are accessing your email over an unsecure or untrusted connection".   I am able to log onto BTYahoo web mail and send e-mails from there but not through Outlook.  My other e-mail address is unaffected.  I have tried changing my password but that has had no effect.  I tried deleting that e-mail account in Outlook and re-installing it but received and error message that Outlook could not connect to the outgoing mail server.  Fortunately I had backed up my Outlook.pst file prior to deleting the account and was able to replace the .pst file and get it all back.  I have suffered for years the problem with accessing e-mails through Outlook and having to change my password regularly but this is the first time that this problem has arisen.  There seem to have been one or two  similar questions a few years ago but nothing seems to have been resolved.  This is my business e-mail account and I need to be ab;e to use it.  How can I get it back. 

Hi.

Firstly, using a residential grade email service is not recommended for use with a business.

The issue of client access to BTinternet (BTYahoo accounts in particular) has been going on for years. It's not a password issue, despite maybe a message in Outlook saying it might be. If you can access via webmail - it's clearly not a password issue.

The advice therefore is to do nothing at all, no password changes, no settings changes or delete/re-add accounts or apps. The issue usually self-resolves in a few hours to a few days. Whilst the issue occurs, stop all devices from auto checking for emails and maybe check once an hour on one device.

As you've changed the password, the usual thing to do is change it again - making sure all devices are stopped from checking. Wait for at least 20 minutes after changing password - check webmail access and then check one device only. After access, check each device in turn.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Are you using secure POP3/IMAP and SMTP ports 995/993 & 465 to access the server?

0 Ratings
supergenius
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Yes, definitely.  Same settings as I have always used. 

0 Ratings