Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NAD9956
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Error 553 message from BT

I have just had the following email from BT

Your emails may be blocked – please confirm your alternate BT Yahoo! Mail addresses

Dear Customer,

You’ve received a ‘553’ error message because we’ve upgraded your BT Yahoo! Mail account security to help protect against ‘spoofing’ – when people use alternate email addresses to disguise the real sender, possibly to commit fraud.

What you need to do

We need you to take a few minutes to confirm each of the BT Yahoo! Mail alternate email addresses you use are genuine. If you don’t, you might get more ‘553’ error messages and have problems sending emails. Just log in and follow these simple steps. We don’t ask for any personal information.

Your BT Yahoo! Mail address is ***************

The email address quoted (not shown here) is my main one and I'm the account holder. I have 4 other sub accounts - one each for wife & kids. I also had half a dozen email delivery failures but I never sent the emails myself.

Having looked at the previous forum posts I've concluded that a spammer has got hold of my email address somehow.  Anyone else had this?

The previous post suggest that if this the case there isn't anything I can do but that the email delivery failure notices will eventually stop.  Anyone out there had the same problem? Should I change my password?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Error 553 message from BT

See this page http://btybb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10903/related/1/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
NAD9956
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Many thanks for the reply. I tried that but it said it couldn't do anything as the email address I entered matched my main account. It suggested I try another email address.  I seem to be able to send and receive ok and the other sub accounts don't seem to have received any similar messages. 

0 Ratings
spencert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

I wonder on why you got this error. Were there any modifications made on this account prior to getting this issue? 

0 Ratings
NAD9956
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

None that I know of at all. I received another email from BT today (Sunday 27th) with the same message so I followed the instructions (not that clear I thought) and managed to verify all the email accounts (my wife's, 2 kids and one for a spare laptop - all sub accounts of mine).  I haven't noticed anything unusual on any of the email addresses since I got the original mail from BT and everything seems to be ok. I will keep an eye on things though.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

@NAD9956 wrote:

None that I know of at all. I received another email from BT today (Sunday 27th) with the same message so I followed the instructions (not that clear I thought) and managed to verify all the email accounts (my wife's, 2 kids and one for a spare laptop - all sub accounts of mine).  I haven't noticed anything unusual on any of the email addresses since I got the original mail from BT and everything seems to be ok. I will keep an eye on things though.

Hi.

You usually don't need to verify any btinternet email address, as long as the settings in each account specifically mentions only that account (within every access, e.g. pc, tablet etc).

See my shortcuts (link below) option 0e. Towards the bottom in items 15 (specifically 15c), it gives possible reasons why this message can be received seemingly at random sometimes.

0 Ratings
NAD9956
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the solution you mentioned but I didn't understand it. 

I've just checked again today and BT have sent another message and I have another failed email delivery - one I didn't send!  I've emailed BT to ask for their help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

@NAD9956 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the solution you mentioned but I didn't understand it. 

I've just checked again today and BT have sent another message and I have another failed email delivery - one I didn't send!  I've emailed BT to ask for their help.

Hi again.

Apologies that the info I've written is fairly conplex.

I don't feel there is anything at fault here, apart from someone using your details by mistake in trying to send emails. There is hardly anything you can do to stop that (as my shortcut 0e/15c indicates).

Failed deliveries are all (usually) to do with spammers using your email address as the "From" address when sending spam. There is actually nothing you can do to prevent this! Typically you could get 100s of these, depending on the spammer. Some people have had 10s of 1000s of non delivery reports. Usually it drops off to a trickle and then stops.

0 Ratings
NAD9956
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Thanks again for your reply. I got a reply from the BT technical team simply giving me the instructions that can already be found on their web site.  They ignored the fact that I mentioned these instructions don't work. When I try to add the email address I get the message that it matches my default email address and to try another one. I do  get annoyed when they simply don't read the email properly and send a useless reply.  Anyway, I simply can't send emails from this address anymore so I've sent a formal complaint to BT about the useless reply and asked them to unblock the account. We'll see what happens.

0 Ratings
NAD9956
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

I got a reply from BT telling me that they haven't blocked the email account and asking me to let them know what time would be best for them to call me about this. 

However, since that reply, I immediately stopped getting 553 error messages from BT. I then changed my password and the undeliverable emails stopped altogether. At the same time my email acount is now unblocked. Coincidence that everything put itself right after complaining despite the fact BT say they didn't block the account. Of course the change of password may have helped. 

0 Ratings