cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Error 554 btinternet emails blocked

I use ‘gmail’ to send messages. I have a mailing list of approximately 280 recipients who I message about once a week. On the 18th November 2023 I sent my usual email and all the messages to BT addresses were returned to with the message:

The response from the remote server was:

554 Message rejected for policy reasons (2.1.2.3) on 2023/11/18 10:03:05 GMT

The message was accepted by all other addresses and only rejected by the ‘bt internet’ addresses (about 60).  I have been sending emails this way for years without any problems.

I have since tried several times to send to individual ‘bt internet’ addresses and they all come back with the same message.

I have spoken to BT twice and they both said it was a ‘google’ problem and not BT which I now understand is incorrect. I am nearly 80 so not too good with the technical stuff. Can anybody help?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Error 554 btinternet emails blocked

Hi, welcome to the forums.

BT told you wrong. It is 100% a BT problem.

There really isn't much you can do I'm afraid. Though you can try individual ones and alter some of the email, like removed any links - send and see. Remove any attachments - send and see. Do this for other items including altering the Subject title - though no idea what you might like to leave out.

The fact that it's been fine for a long time, then suddenly it's failing is clearly a BT issue as no other addresses had the same fault (which you've not said, but effectively implied).

I assume you're sending using Bcc:, and are you putting your own email address in the To: field?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Hi Distinguished Guru,

Yes I did send the email by BCC and put myself in the 'To' field.

The message to all other addresses was delivered correctly, only 'btinternet' affected.

GG44

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Hi @GG44, sorry you're having this issue. 
Are you sending the email from webmail www.bt.com/email
Or are you using an email client like Outlook? if so does the same thing happen on webmail?
Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

The OP is using Gmail to send to BT recipients

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Hi @GG44, check out BT Email - best practices for postmasters and senders of email | BT Help and if you need further help contact the Postmaster via the link on that page.

@licquorice thanks for spotting that and letting me know. It's been a long day lol

Cheers

John

Message 7 of 14

Hi JohnC2,

To elaborate a little more (OP, GG44 is my Dad).  I'm a software developer by day. I'm familiar with email protocols however the message 554 Message rejected for policy reasons (2.1.2.3)  is terribly vague. I've not been able to find the definition of policy 2.1.2.3.

What I'm suspecting has happened is one or more of the BT recipients have marked one of the emails as spam,  thus flagging him as a spammer.  He's just using the standard Gmail browser client, using Bcc and his own address as mentioned. 

Messages sent to the bt postmaster have gone unanswered.  Attempting to send single simple emails to any one of the bt recipients of the mailing list get sent back with the same return message. 

Thanks,

PG71

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Hi JohnC2,

Reading other threads it appears 'The postmaster' never replies to anyone!!!

GG44

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Hi @JohnC2 

Thanks for pointing out the best practices page.  I've had a read through it. The first part that talks about SPF, PTR and DKIM applies primarily to someone who manages their own domain name. I'm pretty sure google have got theirs setup correctly already.  In @GG44's case it's just an email from a gmail address sent via gmail's web page.   

Secondly, as already stated, postmaster@btinternet.com has been informed, but we've not had an answer yet.

All the emails are in standard gmail html text. There are no links or images. None of the text is even similar to a typical spam, they're just local rugby club newletters with dates/times of fixtures.

Even sending to 1 btinternet recipient is now getting returned.  

Any help or contact from a btinternet representative would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks all,

PG71

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

@PG71wrote:

Hi @JohnC2 

Thanks for pointing out the best practices page.  I've had a read through it. The first part that talks about SPF, PTR and DKIM applies primarily to someone who manages their own domain name. I'm pretty sure google have got theirs setup correctly already.  In @GG44's case it's just an email from a gmail address sent via gmail's web page.   

Secondly, as already stated, postmaster@btinternet.com has been informed, but we've not had an answer yet.

All the emails are in standard gmail html text. There are no links or images. None of the text is even similar to a typical spam, they're just local rugby club newletters with dates/times of fixtures.

Even sending to 1 btinternet recipient is now getting returned.  

Any help or contact from a btinternet representative would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks all,

PG71

I'm afraid there is very little you can do as you're not a BTinternet user as such. If one of the btinternet users marked the email as spam, then it's possible the sending email address has been effectively blocked. Can you try sending to one of the BTinternet addresses using a different Gmail address (or any other email address), explaining the issue.

I assume that all of the recipients actually want the emails, and have been added to a list with their consent. Also if anyone has requested not to receive anything, hopefully those requests have been actioned.

0 Ratings