Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 24

Flickr & BT/Yahoo accounts

Long time BT/BT Yahoo user.

I can't get to login to Flickr using my @btinternet address and Flickr won't let me use any of my existing addresses to create an account.

I confess I've lost track of BT's relationship with Flickr and BT/Yahoo but I'm fairly sure I've got some photos from years back.  Going throught the on-line email procedure takes me in circles with Flickr saying "Oops something has gone wrong". 

My Flickr account with a @Yahoo.co.uk address I have is fine, but that doesn't get me to my @btinternet (or should it have been @btopenworld??) addresses.

Can someone please enlighten me?

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Numb3r6
Contributor
Message 2 of 24

Re: Flickr & BT/Yahoo accounts

I ran into this several weeks ago. What had been a perfectly functioning Flickr Pro account is now inaccessble, with the same useless error message you saw. My account is also linked to a @btinternet.com address.

I contacted BT for support and ended up with the woefully poor online chat "support" people who seem mostly clueless (that's when don't just hang up on you, which has happened to me several times, and is an appalling way to treat customers)

Anyway before I knew it I'd had a password reset which caused more problems than it fixed (multi device sync issues) and nobody from BT has helped whatsoever.

I've since raised this directly to Flickr via Twitter and they offered more info. As I suspected the problem *IS* with BT, I don't know the detail but suspect it's a delayed result of them not working closely with Yahoo anymore. Flickr say BT are on the case and they believe a fix may take place within the next week. I'm not holding my breath but I'm hoping Flickr are putting pressure on BT. The folks at Flickr also offered to use another supplied email to fix my account, but I'd rather not add to the number I have in use, so am going to wait a bit. I do at least feel that Flickr are trying to provide help, which is more than can be said for the people I discussed with in BT who knew nothing, and were just going through scripts in a vain hope that would fix things. I truly hate having to contact their support people.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 24

Sorry, but I really don't see how it is a problem with BT. There is no tie up between BTYahoo and Flickr any more, surely the email address is just being used as a username.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

BT stopped their association with Flickr over four years ago so it would appear your problem has nothing to do with BT.  

As regards your BT email address, as has already been said it is only being used as a username, it is not linked to your BT broadband email account, assuming you are still a BT Broadband customer.

According to the Flickr forum, when the association stopped you had the option to pay £25 to maintain the Flickr Pro account or move over to the free Flickr account, neither of which have anything to do with BT.

You may be best to have a look at the Flickr forum and see if you can find out more information from there.

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 24

@gg30340wrote:

BT stopped their association with Flickr over four years ago so it would appear your problem has nothing to do with BT.  

As regards your BT email address, as has already been said it is only being used as a username, it is not linked to your BT broadband email account, assuming you are still a BT Broadband customer.

According to the Flickr forum, when the association stopped you had the option to pay £25 to maintain the Flickr Pro account or move over to the free Flickr account, neither of which have anything to do with BT.

You may be best to have a look at the Flickr forum and see if you can find out more information from there.

@In which case please help me understand why when I log on with my browser to my @btinternet a/c  does Flickr appear in the menus above?  And how come I've uploaded photos to my Flickr a/c only a few months ago? 

@I have a free Flickr, never had the Pro.  All I get is a "Oops something has gone wrong!."  I also have had emails to my @btinternet a/c regarding Flickr changes, Oath and all that.

Does anyone know what is going on with anything anymore nowadays?  A tangled web we seem to have weaved.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

As I said, the information I posted regarding the ceasing of BTYhoo and Flickr was as per the Flickr forum and you may be able to get better answers from there.

When I said it is not linked to your email account I was meaning that Flickr is not dependent on you having your BT email account. It is a stand alone account that happens to use your BT email address as a username. If you were to leave BT your email address would still function as your user name.

I have never used a Flickr account so I am unaware of why/what shows in your @btinternet account but are you sure that it is not just a legacy shortcut to Flickr placed there from when BT was associate with it. 

As regards email from Oath etc, as you were/are a Flickr customer, which I presume you signed up to with your BT email address, I would think it is fair to assume that Flickr would have your details on record and must comply with  GDPR. 

As for 

"Does anyone know what is going on with anything anymore nowadays?  A tangled web we seem to have weaved".

I would say that is par for the course when it comes to all the "extras" that BT provide. They would be better to just stick to providing broadband packages with no extras such as email, antivirus, Cloud storage, TV etc etc which seem to cause a large part of complaints on this forum  

Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 24

@Numb3r6wrote:

@I ran into this several weeks ago. What had been a perfectly functioning Flickr Pro account is now inaccessble, with the same useless error message you saw. My account is also linked to a @btinternet.com address.

I contacted BT for support and ended up with the woefully poor online chat "support" people who seem mostly clueless (that's when don't just hang up on you, which has happened to me several times, and is an appalling way to treat customers)

Anyway before I knew it I'd had a password reset which caused more problems than it fixed (multi device sync issues) and nobody from BT has helped whatsoever.

I've since raised this directly to Flickr via Twitter and they offered more info. As I suspected the problem *IS* with BT, I don't know the detail but suspect it's a delayed result of them not working closely with Yahoo anymore. Flickr say BT are on the case and they believe a fix may take place within the next week. I'm not holding my breath but I'm hoping Flickr are putting pressure on BT. The folks at Flickr also offered to use another supplied email to fix my account, but I'd rather not add to the number I have in use, so am going to wait a bit. I do at least feel that Flickr are trying to provide help, which is more than can be said for the people I discussed with in BT who knew nothing, and were just going through scripts in a vain hope that would fix things. I truly hate having to contact their support people.

Flickr, now owned by SmugMug has nothing to do with BT.

When did you last login?

Changing password within BT will have zero bearing on Flickr (or any other system you use that email address to login).

Do you get any flickr emails, you should have done recently with SmugMug acquiring Flickr. Note that the received emails may not be to an address that is used as a login address.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 24

@old_emailwrote

I have a free Flickr, never had the Pro.  All I get is a "Oops something has gone wrong!."  I also have had emails to my @btinternet a/c regarding Flickr changes, Oath and all that.

Does anyone know what is going on with anything anymore nowadays?  A tangled web we seem to have weaved.

If you were getting Oath request, that's because Oath are the parent company of Flickr, which has just been taken over by SmugMug. Flickr was (or still sort of is) a Yahoo product, so you would have received the Oath acceptance on signing in ONLY if you used a BTYahoo email address as the login. At least that's what I believe. I altered my login details to flickr when BT removed their association - so mine is a non btinternet login.

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 24

Well I've just logged onto BTInternet and the Flickr tab has disappeared.  A few days ago it was there by logging into my Email and then clicking the Home option.

I am definitely on the BTi/Yahoo platform and the last email I had from Flickr was:

To:    @xx@btinternet.com
    Subject:    Changes to Flickr’s wall art and photo books
    Date:    19 Oct 2017 20:29:33 +0000

As I wasn't doing anything with wall art or photo books I ignored this.

I do not have a note of when I last uploaded anything to Flickr using the @btinternet a/c.  I have recently uploaded using my @Yahoo.co.uk a/c.

ok - some progress, I've tried to login direct to Flickr again using the xx@btinternet.com a/c and now get (this is an improvement on earlier messages:

Here's what going on:

Your xx@btinternet.com Yahoo! ID uses the email address xx@btinternet.com. That email address is already associated with the Anthony4L account on Flickr.

Here's what to do:

• If you are trying to create a new Flickr account for your xx@btinternet.com Yahoo! ID, you need to either:
    • Remove the xx@btinternet.com email address from your Anthony4L Flickr account. (You'll need to sign in to Flickr with your xyz Yahoo! ID to do this.) Or,
    • Change the primary email address for your xx@btinternet.com Yahoo! ID. (Your xx@btinternet.com Yahoo! preferences.)
  • If you are trying to access your Anthony4L Flickr account, please sign in to Yahoo! again with your xyz Yahoo! ID.

I don't have the patience to try this tonight but it appears Flickr have recognised an issue and hopefully have addressed it.  I don't recall tying in my BTi and Yahoo addresses as I generally endeavour to use them for totally different things.

I sort of accept it is no longer a BTi problem though the adminstration of the changes is less than stellar.

0 Ratings
aliballibee
Contributor
Message 10 of 24

I'm also having the same issue, which has only occurred in the last two months.

For those without a Flickr account, from the Flickr home page when you select "login" it takes you (for me anyway) to the BT Sign In page.

For me that's a @btopenworld account (which seems to have changed to a @btinternet account but thats a different thread) and when I enter the correct login details it then goes to the BT Yahoo UK & Ireland page and says "Uh-oh - Looks as if something wetn wrong. Please try again later". However I note my name in the top right hand corner, as If it HAS signed in.

I've never had a Flickr Pro account and this has only recently happened.

To reolve it, I seem to be going around in "change your password" loops!

0 Ratings