cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 24

Re: Flickr & BT/Yahoo accounts

Like you I find as soon as I try to login to Flickr I'm taken to a BT login page so presumably cookies or history.  If I open a Private Window I can log into Flickr with my yahoo email address, and good heavens, it has my email address down as my btinternet address.  I have no idea how that happened and where my @btinternet photos are. 

If I can't sort it soon I'll ditch the whole idea of Flickr and start using, with reluctance, Google photos though I'm upset with them for messing up Picasa.  I suppose this is what happens for free.

0 Ratings
Numb3r6
Contributor
Message 12 of 24

I'm perfectly aware that Smugmug and BT are not connected, but there does seem to be something that has not gone right, even if one accepts that a prior @btinternet.com address has now become little more than a username. I was last able to log in via that username which was linked to my BT account more than a few weeks ago then it simply stopped..with the useless Yahoo error throwing its two pennies' worth in to confuse things further.

I am unable to even log into my Flickr account to administer it.

It strikes me that some step in whatever changes have gone on with BT, Yahoo, Flickr, Smugmug (probably less likely with recent changes that are just inheriting what's gone on) has not happened well for everyone. It would have been nice to receive some guidance on what changes were afoot and the pros/cons of not doing so. I don't believe I've had any reminders so am struggling to get the help needed. Flickr seem to think there is a dependency on BT, and who am I to debate that? Perhaps there are a number of accounts that have had some migration issues etc that have not gone well.

0 Ratings
Scirocco
Beginner
Message 13 of 24

I'm amazed by the people that have commented saying there is no issue when they've never once had a Flickr account - a good tip for those is don't comment if you don't know what you're talking about.

There is an issue with BT associated login IDs, which when trying to log in to Flickr with them takes you to the BT log in page instead of logging you into Flickr. This has been going on for months but you used to be able to get round it by logging into Yahoo and clicking the Flickr link at the top of the page. That workaround has disappeared since SmugMug bought Flickr.

I've read SmugMug are currently working to take Flickr away from Yahoo's log in system, it'll take a while but hopefully that will restore access to our accounts.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 24

@Sciroccowrote:

I'm amazed by the people that have commented saying there is no issue when they've never once had a Flickr account - a good tip for those is don't comment if you don't know what you're talking about.

There is an issue with BT associated login IDs, which when trying to log in to Flickr with them takes you to the BT log in page instead of logging you into Flickr. This has been going on for months but you used to be able to get round it by logging into Yahoo and clicking the Flickr link at the top of the page. That workaround has disappeared since SmugMug bought Flickr.

I've read SmugMug are currently working to take Flickr away from Yahoo's log in system, it'll take a while but hopefully that will restore access to our accounts.

Not sure how you came to the conclusion that people commenting haven't had a flickr account - I certainly do and use it without issue. I did change my login details when BT removed flickr as part of the service.

The question that springs to mind is that about ½ of the accounts are not Yahoo based, and are BTMail - so do these people have similar issues?

This could be a cookie corruption/interference with all the Yahoo stuff.

0 Ratings
Scirocco
Beginner
Message 15 of 24

One poster, not yourself, has commented in this thread with unhelpful 'advice' and said they hadn't ever had a Flickr account.

It's difficult to know, many people must use BT mail accounts as their Flickr login without issue. Mine is an old Talk21 account - I'm logged on my home PC and iOS devices with the app but can't access it on any other computer.

When the login credentials expire for my home PC I'm not going to be able to upload pictures from my PC to Flickr or access account management, let's hope SmugMug fix this soon.
0 Ratings
Scirocco
Beginner
Message 16 of 24

Also clearing cookies or browser history doesn't resolve the issue

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 24

@Scirocco wrote:

Another good tip is to read and understand all the posts fully before making a comment!

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 18 of 24

Hi guys,

Can we keep this on topic and in line with the discussion please?

Thanks a million,

Robbie

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 19 of 24

Hi Guys,

I am very sorry to hear of the problems some of you are having in accessing your Flickr account. 

We have spoken to our product team to see if this is something that BT can help with.  Unfortunately there is absolutely nothing we can do.  We ended our association with Flickr quite a few years back.  We spoke to Yahoo to see if they could offer any support and their advice was that customers experiencing issue would need to contact Flickr directly.

As AndyN has mentioned Flickr has been acquired by SmugMug.  They have posted some information about what this means for Flickr customers,

For information, check these sources:

I am sorry we can’t offer any further assistance and hope you find a solution to this frustrating issue.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Numb3r6
Contributor
Message 20 of 24

However you cut it, the bottom line is the change is effectively user account and data migration at worst.

But it would appear that in planning for this change, not all scenarios were effectively considered, and tested for success.

Even worse, across the responsible organisations, nobody has implemented a simple process to capture and address instances where the change has not worked out for the end-users. That, plus a lack of visible overall accountability where the change is concerned is pretty poor all in all.

I'm taking a wild guess the project was measured on 80/20 success, but it's not so great being in the 20%

0 Ratings