cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jellicle
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Forced to change browser?

When I visited my BT email account as webmail today (to check my spam folder), a message flashed up telling me that I had to change my browser to Chrome or another. I am currently using Internet Explorer 11, fully up to date, with Windows 10, fully updated. My email works well and downloads to MS Outlook with no problems.

I have got Chrome on my PC, but don't use it much and I want to carry on with IE. I don't want to be forced to change from something which works well and with which I'm comfortable.

Does this message mean that if I don't change I won't be able to download emails to Outlook? I know I could start up Chrome and visit my BT webmail that way if I really have to. What is most important to me is that my emails come seamlessly to my Outlook.

Do I really have to change my preferred browser?

I would appreciate any insights and advice.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Forced to change browser?

You don’t have to change your browser. Stick with IE.

There are lots of pop ups from google at the moment, trying to persuade you to switch browsers. Ignore them.

0 Ratings
Jellicle
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Well, that sounds very simple! Thank you.

It was dressed up and phrased to look like a BT popup. I'm very careful not to click on popups etc, so I took no notice and decided to ask the experts. 🙂

0 Ratings
bbbill999
Contributor
Message 4 of 15

may i add my thanks to that.. 

0 Ratings
Jellicle
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

It's still doing it. Mousehover over the links to the browsers is a Yahoo address.  I haven't c;licked on the links  - I already have Chrome but I prefer IE.

BT browser screen message.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 15

@Jellicle wrote:

It's still doing it. Mousehover over the links to the browsers is a Yahoo address.  I haven't c;licked on the links  - I already have Chrome but I prefer IE.

BT browser screen message.jpg

Those browsers may offer some non-essential enhancements for webmail users, e.g. mail notifications.
The argument as to which browser is best will go on forever.

If you are using Outlook, then this will not be affected (i.e. if you don't change from IE11).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 15

Another thing to watch out for, is that those browsers are not "enhanced by Yahoo" etc, as this may cause problems with Internet Security software.

BT's own search engine is "enhanced by Google" for example.

I don't see those pop-ups, as I'm on BT Mail.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

I have just downloaded IE11 on a W10 machine to test and I'm not getting the popup. I'm still on BTYahoo

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 15

@licquorice wrote:

I have just downloaded IE11 on a W10 machine to test and I'm not getting the popup. I'm still on BTYahoo

Hmmmm,. What is going on? I set IE 11 to clear selected histories after closing.
It also helps to take a look at what cookies are left hanging around occasionally.

0 Ratings
Jellicle
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Thank you for all the replies.

It isn't happening every time I visit, just every so often. I'm on BT Yahoo.

I don't use BT's search engine; I use mainly Google from a link in my favourites bar. As far as I'm concerned, BT is for doing what it does (service provider, email, phone, television) and I'll make my own choice of browser, search and whatever else separately. I also just pick what I want from the package, so I haven't added BT's security as my Kaspersky is very thorough alongside the security in Windows.

I do clear cookies from time to time and  I retain history for one day, but I'll follow the suggestion of having a look  and checking what cookies are there. 

If this is a pop up generated by Google, I will happily ignore it until it gets bored.

If it's a genuine message from BT, I need to know. I really don't want to go altering settings if I don't need to, as apart from the occasional blip, BT mail works very well and operates seamlessly with Outlook.

0 Ratings