cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Florrie1
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Forward AOL emails to BT email. No option on AOL settings to do this.

Since AOL UK seem to be shutting down a lot of their services in the UK I decided to set up an email account with BT, which I've done. I'm a BT Broadband customer and have been for many years. I want to find a safe way to automatically divert emails sent to my AOL email address to my BT email address. My AOL web browser is old and I suspect out-of-date. Attempts to get help from AOL UK have failed. There's no "Forwarding" option in "General Settings" when I open the "Settings" link. I've been advised that so long as I log-in to my AOL browser at least once every 90 days I can keep my AOL mail going. BT told me this is something I have to set up, I wish I knew how. Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Forward AOL emails to BT email. No option on AOL settings to do this.

@Florrie1wrote:

Since AOL UK seem to be shutting down a lot of their services in the UK I decided to set up an email account with BT, which I've done. I'm a BT Broadband customer and have been for many years. I want to find a safe way to automatically divert emails sent to my AOL email address to my BT email address. My AOL web browser is old and I suspect out-of-date. Attempts to get help from AOL UK have failed. There's no "Forwarding" option in "General Settings" when I open the "Settings" link. I've been advised that so long as I log-in to my AOL browser at least once every 90 days I can keep my AOL mail going. BT told me this is something I have to set up, I wish I knew how. Any suggestions?

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Can you use something like email client Thunderbird to fetch the AOL emails :-

https://www.lifewire.com/aol-mail-in-thunderbird-1173124

if not Thunderbird, then the settings would also to apply to other clients/apps. Not sure about the login to the AOL browser every 90 days, but maybe the act of accessing the email account might count.

0 Ratings
Florrie1
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Hi Andy_N. Thank you for responding to my enquiry. I don’t think I explained the 90-day bit very well. I’ve been told a couple of times that if you don’t log-in to an email account for, say, 90 days the provider will automatically close down the account. So, to be able to continue to check/access any mail being sent to AOL I should make sure I log-in to AOL every 90 days. Just to add to my concerns AOL have sent me emails over the past couple of weeks saying they have prevented a sign-in attempt and strongly recommending I switch to AOL’s apps such as AOL Mail on desktop and mobile and remove my account from less secure apps. I’ve done this (set up the App that is from my iPhone) but they don’t give any instructions on how to close down an account using a less secure app. I’d really like to see the back of AOL. I’ve chosen to have my utility bills sent to me by email so I’m particularly concerned that I set up a forwarding process. Thank you for the link to Mozilla Thunderbird; I’ve printed off the information which are in 2 parts and which I assume you have to follow both parts.  The instructions are good and clear but apologies for probably sounding dim but how will this forward any mail sent to AOL to my BT email address. More apologies for a long reply.

Regards Florrie

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

I think you seem to be missing the point, just stop using the less secure method. You can't 'close it down and see the back of AOL' as such as you still are using an AOL email address. Why are you so determined to forward the mails rather than just deal with them in whatever app/client you use.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

@Florrie1wrote:

Hi Andy_N. Thank you for responding to my enquiry. I don’t think I explained the 90-day bit very well. I’ve been told a couple of times that if you don’t log-in to an email account for, say, 90 days the provider will automatically close down the account. So, to be able to continue to check/access any mail being sent to AOL I should make sure I log-in to AOL every 90 days. Just to add to my concerns AOL have sent me emails over the past couple of weeks saying they have prevented a sign-in attempt and strongly recommending I switch to AOL’s apps such as AOL Mail on desktop and mobile and remove my account from less secure apps. I’ve done this (set up the App that is from my iPhone) but they don’t give any instructions on how to close down an account using a less secure app. I’d really like to see the back of AOL. I’ve chosen to have my utility bills sent to me by email so I’m particularly concerned that I set up a forwarding process. Thank you for the link to Mozilla Thunderbird; I’ve printed off the information which are in 2 parts and which I assume you have to follow both parts.  The instructions are good and clear but apologies for probably sounding dim but how will this forward any mail sent to AOL to my BT email address. More apologies for a long reply.

Regards Florrie

Hi again.

Like I said, maybe accessing the email account via a different system is fine for the 90 day thing, and no need to use any AOL product at all.

The link seems to have two ways to do it, the first sets the default servers - so nothing else to do in Thunderbird. The second option gives more details for a manual configuration and can be useful for another mail program.

As licquorice says, ignore the bit about closing stuff down - and no need to do any forwarding, since you'll be seeing the emails directly (in Thunderbird) as AOL emails.

0 Ratings
jacobemore
Message 6 of 6

Yes, there is no option of AOL Setting to forward AOL mails to BT emails. I have also faced same problem. I read so much articles and watch so many videos to resove this issue but nothing works. Then I have contacted  AOL Customer Service. They understand my problem and resolve it. You should also try it. 

0 Ratings