cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Free email even after cancelling BT Broadband?

I know this has probably been done to death, but searching hasn't helped get answers...

My partner has had an @btinternet.com email for (she thinks) around 20 years, she is certain that she has had it for so long it might even have been @btopenworld once which makes me think it started with very early broadband but she thinks its way before that, that she's had BT email of some sort since mid-late 90s, not even dialup she says she was using it even when her only internet access was net cafes etc... I mentioned LineOne

I have always had my own domain etc... so not an issue for me.

I heard somewhere that certain 'ancient' 😉 BT email users actually had permanent free accounts not tied to a broadband package... Is there any way to tell? Will BT still invite us to Premium mail even if, technically, we wouldn't have to pay for it? A friend of ours is in the same boat, told her email would cease but still working 3 years after switching to VM (but blimey if it was me I'd not be chancing it...!).

We're finally about to ditch BT, and whilst she has been transferring lots of email to a new gmail address, it's actually quite an eye opener how many people she is registered with where changing an email is not that simple! (Top 3 problems are 'confirmation' emails that never arrive, emails that say they have changed but continue to send out important correspondence to the old address days later, even though the email to login has changed, or simply that when you click 'edit' on the account pages nothing happens, including a huge insurance company - I tried on my account and got the same error...)

Cheers 🙂

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Free email even after cancelling BT Broadband?

At the moment, you either have to be a BTbroadband customer or pay £7.50/m for premium mail. There is no free mail for non broadband customers however long they have had their address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

As has been pointed out, you would need to take out a BT Premium email subscription to keep your email address if you leave BT however this might change in the future.

This link which is available with a search of the Internet "Choose email type BT" would appear to indicate that BT are are going to introduce a free "basic" email to those that are no longer BT customers.

https://www.bt.com/broadband/extras/chooseemailtype

You can also have your BT email account linked to another person's BT Broadband account. You would of course need to have the person's permission and trust them not to delete your email account. They would not have access to the account without knowing the password.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/can-i-move-my-bt-email-address-to-another-account...

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Yup online only whilst we run it down would be ideal 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

LOL - sounds like they might not be charging for much longer!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51571275

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

As was already pointed out in message three.

They are not doing away with charging, they are also going to offer a very basic service if that is all you want.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

That link does nothing for us though, except redirect to the existing login page, even if you were already logged in.

We've now had letters and emails from BT about leaving. About all the services we will lose, even down to virus protection (luckily we realised there are only another 999 providers of AV to choose from - phew!).

But not one word on there about email. To be absolutely honest there is very little left that hasn't been changed over now, so I think we are just going to see what happens.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

The reason the link "does nothing" is because BT are not offering the service at this time as I pointed out in my post. "This link which is available with a search of the Internet "Choose email type BT" would appear to indicate that BT are are going to introduce a free "basic" email to those that are no longer BT customers".

I could be wrong but as far as I am aware at the moment, when you are leaving  BT Broadband , if you log onto your your MyBT you will be informed of the options regarding your email accounts because they will be deleted.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/what-happens-to-my-email-address-when-my-bt-broadband-service-st

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-premium-mail/what-is-premium-email-and-how-do-i-get-it-

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Nope nothing* in writing, nothing by email, nothing if you log in different to before we cancelled.

As I say my other half has had the account many, many years pre paid broadband or even unlimited dialup internet and we know two people that have never had their accounts cancelled years after leaving. Suspect there is a glitch, or, it is intentional if years ago people were offered 'free BT email for life' or similar, which I do remember phrases like being banded about when the internet was a new thing.

We are now at the phase where if it was cancelled tomorrow it wouldn't matter anyway.

*about email, about everything else, yes, in reems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

According to the links in my last message the information would be when you log onto your MyBT.

There are many instances that people who left BT and have not had their email accounts deleted and are still happily using them.

Conversely there are many posts on the forum where people who had left BT were happily using their email account for years then it was suddenly without warning deleted.

Because BT are apparently re-starting the email migration away from Yahoo, they appear to be deleting as many "non customer" email accounts as possible. 

I suppose it is up to the individual if they are prepared to take the chance that their's won't be deleted. They will however I suspect stop working when the migration process is completed.