cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rotarua674
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Genuine email or scam?

I get some bogus  emails and occasional phone calls from fraudsters pretending to BT so I am cautious.  A week ago I got an email asking me to click to accept new email conditions or my email would stop working after 28.2.21.  As this date had already passed and my email was fine I ignored it.   Today I got the same mail this time saying I had to click or my email would stop working after the end of March.  
Given that fraudsters do imitate BT email and call staff how do I know if this is genuine or not.  The first one coming after its stated deadline makes it look suspicious.

Thanks for any advice.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
NeilO
Message 2 of 13

Re: Genuine email or scam?

Hi @Rotarua674 welcome back to the community and thanks for posting, that sounds like a scam email to me.

What email address was it sent to you from? If you click on the from address in your inbox you should be able to see the senders email.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

It is a scam and if it is not then BT need to seriously consider why they are sending out emails telling people to click on a link.

If they require customers to do something they should direct the customer to log onto their MyBT from a web browser , not from a link in an email, and view any messages that are there and to take any actions that are required.

Rotarua674
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

The email it is sent from appears as “noreplies@btinternet.com noreplies@btinternet.com”

It appears exactly like that.

I agree - having been made aware of the number of apparent scams with some knowledge of customer accounts (elsewhere in this community) BT should never send out anything requiring a click.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 5 of 13

@Rotarua674 thanks for replying, customer service emails are not sent from @btinternet addresses. Can you forward that over to us at phishing@bt.com 

I'm not convinced that it's actually been sent from that address, if you click on the email address it will likely show something else which is known as email spoofing.  I'd also recommend checking out this bt.com help page on email scams, there are some good tips on how to spot scams.

Cheers

Neil

0 Ratings
smokeyjoe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Hi rotarua

The circumstances that you describe are almost exactly the same as mine with a variety of dates being given. Like you I eventually gave up but I did forward a copy of the relevant BT notice to the `BT phishing guys who I have contacted on previous occasions. I currently have no email service and I am very worried about getting my service re-connected since I am in poor health and very reliant on an email connection. I have been with BT since the 1990’s and long before it became British Telecom. I have always paid my monthly account by direct debit and I would have thought that as a long-term and valued customer I deserve better than the cavalier treatment currently dished out by BT. Best wishes to everyone on line. I plan to ring the customer service guys later today in the hope of getting soon to restore my email,
0 Ratings
smokeyjoe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Yet another dodgy email today about the termination of BT Mail, how do we know this isn't a scam? none of the links actually go any where and the copy I sent to the phishing team couldn't be opened by them.Can someone please advise whether we should treat these communications as scams
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 8 of 13

Hi @smokeyjoe The emails you've received sound like a scam but, I'll send you a private message so you can get in touch with the moderation team and we'll be happy to help with the problem you're having accessing your BT  email. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

What email address did it originate from when you hover over the email address?

See link

What is a phishing scam? Is the email I have received genuine? | BT Help

0 Ratings
smokeyjoe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Hi Neil I can't locate your recent email and the list of contacts you asked about. how do Ifind it?

0 Ratings