cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lardconcepts
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Gmail warns me that "cpcloud.co.uk didn't encrypt this message" when mails from some BT users arrive

Go to solution

This is odd - when some @btinternet.com users send me email, it arrives with a red unlocked padlock and the following warning from gmail: "cpcloud.co.uk didn't encrypt this message" 

But for other users, it's fine. Anyone know why this might be, and how the other user can resolve this?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
aoxm84
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Gmail warns me that "cpcloud.co.uk didn't encrypt this message" when mails from some B

Go to solution

Ideally communications between mail servers is encrypted. Gmail is warning that Openwave is not encrypting their communications. You can't do anything about this, BT's email partner Openwave should implement encryption.

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

Re: Gmail warns me that "cpcloud.co.uk didn't encrypt this message" when mails from some B

Go to solution

btinternet email is not secure over gmail as BT restrict secure access to BT customers (Gmail being an intermediary) in order to protect their service from abuse by spammers.

Sounds odd I know but you can find a full explanation on  BT help

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/c/7339/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDY0NT...

0 Ratings
aoxm84
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@V_Meldrew there are two different things here, client to server communications (which the article you link to is about) and server to server communications. Openwave (BT's email provider) have enabled encryption for client to server communications but not for server to server communications.

There are no issues with enabling encryption for server to server communications, the Openwave admins just need to set it up. Gmail, Outlook.com and Yahoo have all enabled encryption for server to server communications, and the other providers should follow suit.

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi aoxm84. Did you read the article in full? if so then maybe it's a difference in interpretation of the following passage 

"A note about SMTP

To protect our email server from abuse by spammers, we only allow our own customers to use it. We do this by insisting that all emails sent through our email service have SMTP authentication to prove where they came from."

I became aware of this article because I'm having the same problem myself. The way I interpret the above passage is that BT have restricted access to port 465 (the secure SSL port) to BT end-users only, therefore when the Google servers attempt to connect to it the connection attempt is refused, I assume that Google then retries on an alternative port (such as 25 or 587) until a connection is made. The problem being that neither port 25 or 587 are secure.

0 Ratings
aoxm84
Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Yes I read the article in full, it refers to client to server communications. The article doesn't refer to server to server communications because that is not a matter for customers to be concerned with when configuring their email clients.

As I said before, there are no issues with enabling encryption for server to server communications, the Openwave admins just need to set it up. Gmail, Outlook.com and Yahoo have all enabled encryption for server to server communications, and the other providers should follow suit.

0 Ratings
lardconcepts
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks @aoxm84 - that makes sense, albeit depressing that a large provider for a large company can't drag themselves into the current decade.

While I see that you "got" it, I think @V_Meldrew might have either not read my message properly, or perhaps understood what I meant. So here it is again with emphasis - hope it's clearer now!

Subject:

Gmail warns me that "cpcloud.co.uk didn't encrypt this message" when mails from some BT users arrive

This is odd - when some @btinternet.com users send me email, it arrives with a red unlocked padlock and the following warning from gmail: "cpcloud.co.uk didn't encrypt this message"

0 Ratings
brijanhub
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

The simple answer is only use your BT email address when sending to another BT email address, in all other cases use a gmail account.

0 Ratings
Steve_N
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

I've been working with BT on this for the past few months and they've now moved from cpcloud.co.uk (not secure) to synchronoss.net (secure) 🙂

You're welcome.

Thanks for your backing GDPR

0 Ratings