cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WhiskyWerrington
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Good News. Easily transfer BT Yahoo Mail address to BT Mail account (including disposables)

Heads up Home movers - this is a good news for everyone who needs to transfer email address(es) from one BT account to another. And it works with BT Yahoo mail addresses onto a BT mail account.

What’s more – (if you use them) - all the disposable addresses move with the transfer together with the ability to continue creating new disposable addresses after the move.

Hats off to the mods on here who pointed me to this very new facility. Thank you PB (sorry don’t know your forum handle)

The instructions can be found here ......  

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44864/~/can-i-link-my-existing-bt-mail-address-to-ano...

and are very simple to use. All it takes is to hit the Import email address option and enter the mail password. Done!

I’ve moved a BT Yahoo address to a BT mail account, (with several sub-accounts), but I guess it would work in reverse – maybe someone else would like to try that?

I needed this because I’m moving home to an address which already has a BT Broadband account, but the previous options were somewhat complex. Forum thread Nov 2017 ......  

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Transfer-Yahoo-email-address-to-a-BT-Mail-account/m-p/1797192#M557... 

Looks like a permanent solution but needs to be time tested.

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Good News. Easily transfer BT Yahoo Mail address to BT Mail account (including disposables)

I could be wrong but I think you are mistaken that your BTYahoo email account is now a BTMail account.

As far as I am aware you can not have BTYahoo changed/migrated to BTMail but you can have your BTYahoo email account associated to a BT Broadband account which has BTMail.

If you were/are a BTYahoo email account user and you are now associated to a BTMail Broadband account can you log onto your email account and check the BT logo.

If you have been moved onto the BTMail system you will see no mention of Yahoo if on the other hand you are still on BTYahoo system and only associated to the BTMail account you will still see Yahoo in the logo.

Obviously if you were on the BTMail system and are moving to a BT broadband account that is on the BTMail system you will see no change in the BT logo.

0 Ratings
WhiskyWerrington
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Re: Good News. Easily transfer BT Yahoo Mail address to BT Mail account (including disposables)

Hi @gg30340 - I am guilty of being a bit loose with my terminology.

No, I did not mean to imply that my email address had been swapped onto the BT Mail system - rather it seems that BT have allowed BT Yahoo Mail and BT Mail to reside together on the same BT ID.

So - what I meant to say was that the BT Yahoo mail system addresses have been moved from my BT ID to another existing BT ID which had BT Mail system addresses already working on it. If I now log in to the receiving BT ID account and  "Manage email" all my BT Yahoo Mail and the pre-existing BT Mail addresses are listed together under the 11 addresses allowed. The losing BT ID account no longer lists the Yahoo addresses.

When I now open my BT Yahoo mail inbox it looks and works exactly as it did before transfer and all my disposable addresses are still there. It still has the BT Yahoo logo and all the lovely ads. As far as I can tell the disposables all still work and I have been able to create and test a brand new disposable after the transfer. Similarly the pre-existing BT Mail inboxes look and work exactly as they did.

I would imagine that any new sub accounts created would be BT Mail and not BT Yahoo - but I have no need to try that out yet. Nor have I tried moving BT Mail addresses onto a BT Yahoo ID.

Your comment re "associating" my BT Yahoo mail with the receiving BT Mail account was in fact what I had asked the mods to help with. Happily, instead, they came back with this brand new feature which had apparently just become available. It would seem that "migration" is now possible.

I have to say when I first looked at this I was a bit doubtful, but it has worked out well (so far).

Hope that's a bit clearer.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 13

Hi.

From what you have described, this is not migration to BTMail. This is simply not happening. Seeing a BTYahoo account and BTMail account in a BTID is something different altogether.

This will clearly not be available in the vast majority of cases - but only in certain rare circumstances.

0 Ratings
WhiskyWerrington
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Hi @Andy_N.

I appreciate that there is a lot of history in the "on then off" story of true migration from the BT Yahoo mail system to the (then new) BT Mail system. As I understood migration, the email address itself was transferred to the BT Mail system. However, I don't want to open that old can of worms.

I'm absolutely not claiming any sort of migration in that sense. I posted simply because this new facility has completely solved my original problem  and thought others may benefit from it. That problem concerned keeping my main Yahoo & disposable addresses when I moved to a new home with an existing Broadband account which uses the BT Mail system. 

As I understood it at the time (November 2017) - "association" was the only way to go. However, this had to be done by BT Customer Service and I would have lost my disposable addresses.

For me, at least, whatever words are used to describe it - this is a good step forwards. Users can execute this themselves, simply and quickly and the Yahoo disposable address facility is preserved.  

@Andy_Nwrote:

This will clearly not be available in the vast majority of cases - but only in certain rare circumstances.

Not sure what is meant here? As I see it, the facility to import email addresses into a BT ID from another appears to be available to anyone - regardless of BT Mail/ BT Yahoo Mail system considerations. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 13

Hi again.

Your subject line is misleading.

The BTYahoo email addresses are not transferred to a BTMail account. The accounts are effectively separate servers, and although they shouldn't - they do have different facilities. For example forwarding is not available for a BTYahoo email account.

The "move" to an existing Broadband account with BTMail is simply pure chance. You don't actually take over that account in the general case, you take over a connection. Your own account is then just associated with the new house address and technical location.

How did you take over the existing account when moving house? The previous occupant will have cancelled their connection and taken their details with them.

Associating email addresses (or indeed moving them) from one BTID to another isn't new. However you have to effectively own the new BTID and already have BTMail accounts to have them as you've described.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

@Andy_N  I think the OP is referring to the facility to import an email address which I believe is a new option.

importmail.jpg

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

@Andy_N wrote:

Hi again.

Your subject line is misleading.

The BTYahoo email addresses are not transferred to a BTMail account. The accounts are effectively separate servers, and although they shouldn't - they do have different facilities. For example forwarding is not available for a BTYahoo email account.

The "move" to an existing Broadband account with BTMail is simply pure chance. You don't actually take over that account in the general case, you take over a connection. Your own account is then just associated with the new house address and technical location.

How did you take over the existing account when moving house? The previous occupant will have cancelled their connection and taken their details with them.

Associating email addresses (or indeed moving them) from one BTID to another isn't new. However you have to effectively own the new BTID and already have BTMail accounts to have them as you've described.

Andy, I think you are getting a bit confused with what has taken place possibly because of the slightly misleading title, which the OP has now acknowledged.

The OP was a BT Broadband customer and was closing his BT Broadband account and moving in with his fiancee, who is a BTBroadband customer, but wished to retain his email addresses by having them moved onto his fiancee's BT Broadband account. He was not taking over this broadband account. It would remain his fiancee's broadband account.

He has now had his email account moved onto/associated with his fiancee's broadband account and he can use his BTID to manage them.

There is a new facility available to allow BT customers to do this themselves rather than having to get either the Customer Services or the moderators of the forum to do it.

WhiskyWerrington
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Hi @Andy_N

I take your point about the Title but like many on this forum, I am an amateur at this game and not an acknowledged expert like your good self. I can see that you feel strongly about this, but I certainly don't intend to bicker over semantics as I think the detail would be lost on casual users here.

Thank you @licquorice The Import email feature is exactly what I have been trying to publicise, particularly as it does not care which mail system the gaining & losing ID's are using. As mentioned in my original post, one of the forum mods pointed this out  and I quote from his email

"There have been a number of changed with BT email over the last few month. One of those changes has been to make the process of moving email address from one account to another easier."

So this is relatively new.

As for the rest of your comments - my original post included a link back to my November thread and it would have been helpful for you to check that before you posted.  You would then have seen that I am moving into my fiancee's house. So, indeed,  matters are exactly as I have described. I do now have effective  ownership of both accounts (or ID's or whatever else you prefer to call them) and all your worries about taking over only connections etc etc are based on a false premise on your part.

I hope that clears things up. 

WhiskyWerrington
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Thanks for helping to clear the confusion  @gg30340

@gg30340wrote:

He has now had his email account moved onto/associated with his fiancee's broadband account and he can use his BTID to manage them.

Actually I have  imported the email addresses and associated them with my other half's BTID.

I appreciate that I could change them as you say, into what BT calls "Affiliate accounts" and manage them with my own BTID. In the circumstances, that doesn't seem necessary as we both use her BTID now. Man HappyWoman Happy

0 Ratings