cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PompeyinAberdeen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 25

Re: Great Increase in Spam

I've also started getting loads of spam emails the last 4 days - over 120 in the last 4 days.

I've sent some samples to the phishing@bt.com to see what they can do.

Moving stuff to the spam folder doesn't seem to improve things, but I just wonder whether this is linked to the problems BT are experiencing in general at the moment.

0 Ratings
Markc128
Beginner
Message 12 of 25

Over the last few days I've suddenly started getting around 50 spam emails a day. I've gone from almost none to a deluge.

All similar emails advertising gift cards, argos, asda, flashlights, insurances.

All clearly from the same sender as the format is roughy the same on all.

No specific 'from' address. Just a series of numbers and letters.

Moving to spam does nothing to stop them.

Have raised the issue with support who have been almost useless so far.
0 Ratings
sms5775
Beginner
Message 13 of 25

I'm having exactly the same problem - I've received nearly 150 spam emails of this type since yesterday evening. I've also recently downloaded BT Net Protect Plus which hasn't helped at all despite marking emails as spam, blocking, custom filters, etc. I'm fed up as it's wasting so much of my time.
0 Ratings
PompeyinAberdeen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 25

Yep, I have had the same type of emails.

Lots of Morrisions, Argos, M&S and Everest type 'offers'. I'm sure that those companies would love to know their names are being abused in this way, and that BT's spam filtering isn't helping at all. I bet if one of those companies complained to BT, things would get sorted a bit quicker.

0 Ratings
PompeyinAberdeen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 25

Whilst the spam filter seems to be down, I have set up a few rules to redirect some of the spam.

I noticed that a lot of the spam emails started with =?UTF in the 'From' address, so I just set up a rule to redirect anything with the From address starting with that into my Spam folder. It has already caught 2 emails in the last 5 minutes, so that could reduce the problem. It won't catch everything, but its a start.

But if it is that easy for me to do that, why can't BT's spam filter!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 25

Unfortunately BT seem to be totally incompetent when it comes to all aspects of their email system. You just need to have a quick look through the forum to see the log on problems, password problems and spam problems.

BT would appear to be totally unable to have any form of decent spam filtering. BT are well aware of this problem but for what ever reason seem totally unable to fix it.

Perhaps an idea would be for every person affected by the spam problem to forward all their spam emails to the CEO's email address. You will find it easy enough with a google search. Of course the spam fiters might block it but if the filters are the same for the BT customers then he will receive them!!

kitkavanagh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 25

This continues to be a problem. I think Monty Python's "Spam" sketch is alive and well and been adapted for the 21st century. 

I have worked hard, after eight years on BT mail, to change my email address on all my subscriptions. The only one I can't update is, of course, all things BT. 

Currently, I am at war with them over BT Sport (I'll carry that beef over to the appropriate forum) so all email contact is going through my BT inbox. I have had over 800 spam emails and two BT emails in that period! It's time consuming sifting through. I have complained umpteen times but nobody, anywhere, at BT has got a clue. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
LongtimeCustomer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 25

I have the same problem as the other users here.

SORT IT OUT BT - IT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE

I must have at least 80 junk emails a day from the usual Asda, Morrisons, Survey Rewards, Ladbrokes etc etc. Most are in the junk folder but they are now creeping into my inbox too.

I wouldn't mind so much but BT regularly puts two of my main contacts emails into junk even though they are quite clearly not and are even in my contacts/address book. 

I'm also hearing from friends that my emails end up in their junk folders too.

What can I do!!!????

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
kitkavanagh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 25

We are all flogging a dead cart horse. "LongtimeCustomer." The only comfort I can offer you is that you are not alone. This whole sorry saga started, for me, over a year ago. The spam stopped for a few months but it proved to be a false dawn.
I have contacted numerous BT people about this but nobody seems to have a clue. Even the the mods here have tried to sort it out but they seem to come up against a brick wall, too.

0 Ratings
Lightbox
Message 20 of 25

I am so glad I am not alone!

For the last few months I have been getting increasing amounts of "anonymous" emails (Morrisons, Argos, Boots, Credit Cards, you name it), which will not be blocked (generic error) because there is no sender's address appearing. On average this is 75-80% of my inbox.

I made a complaint and eventually spoke to a woman from BT who was not very helpful. After going through all the things I had already tried, she told me to highlight all the emails that have no address and create a rule to send to spam and delete. I have to create a new rule (with a unique name) every few days when the latest batch has grown so big I have to delete them. This month alone I have created 10 rules to deal with the 50+ a day anonymous emails I have been receiving. It hasn't stopped or reduced the problem at all.

Luckily I know someone at BT who asked their technical help desk what they could do for me. They sent back a link to the help page about spam (which I read months ago) with the message that they've checked with their high level tech guys and that there's nothing they can do.

All I want is the option within a rule to say if it is an anonymous email put it in spam. Apparently that can't be done.

I've always been a BT customer but maybe not for much longer.

0 Ratings