cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 23

Re: HELP! HELP! Please.... Cannot send email via SMTP. BT not recognising their own problem.

Go to solution

Have you contact the help number for Premium Mail?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 23

Re: HELP! HELP! Please.... Cannot send email via SMTP. BT not recognising their own problem.

Go to solution

I fail to see how this could be the problem

"It also possible that you are being stopped from using BTs SMTP server, because you are not actually connected to  BT Broadband. You would therfore be restriced to using webmail only"

If that were the case, all BT email customers emails would be unable to send emails via an email client when away from home using a non BT Broadband connection or when abroad and I frequently used an email client in those circumstances.

I think you will probably have done this but if not it may be worth a try.Before doing it you should do a  back up any emails in case you lose them.

Delete your @btinternet.com email account from out look the set it up manually using the "other" option rather than using the wizard.

Use these settings when setting it up

Your Name

Email address: Full btinternet email address

Account type: IMAP or  (POP)

Incoming server: mail.btinternet.com  

Outgoing server: mail.btinternet.com

Logon information:

User name: prefix only of email address

Password: Email password

Tick remember password

Do not tick Require password auth (SPA)

Click Button More settings

Tick box my out going server requires authentication

Tick box use same as incoming

Do not tick log onto incoming server

Advanced Button

Incoming server 993 or (POP 995) Tick requires SSL

Outgoing server 465 Use following type encryption SSL

0 Ratings
gaztech46
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 23

Go to solution

Hi,

Actually you're right. If you were using a phone to send mail then it wouldn't work. That didn't occur to me.

Thanks for your suggestions but I did try deleting and setting up the account as a last resort and it doesn't work.

I always used to be able to send mail via Outlook. Been doing it for years. It all stopped in December and I've not been able to do it since.

I even removed Outlook completely and reinstalled it (mainly just to shut the Indian call centre up). I knew it wouldn't make any difference - and it didn't. I still get the same error message as before - 421 "Too many messages".

Loads of people have reported this very same error on this forum (so I'm not imagining it). For most, in a few days it seems that it mysteriously resolves itself. In my case it hasn't. That's why I'm sooooo annoyed that BT are just ignoring me and are not interested. 

Their take is that if the web mail works, it's not their problem.  - But.. it IS!

0 Ratings
gaztech46
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 23

Go to solution
Keith, accessing your link via my connection here in Malta and I get:

Sorry, you can only access this site from a BT broadband connection.

They really do have everything locked down don't they? You'd never think that BT supports international communication at all..
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 23

Go to solution

@gaztech46 wrote:
Keith, accessing your link via my connection here in Malta and I get:

Sorry, you can only access this site from a BT broadband connection.

They really do have everything locked down don't they? You'd never think that BT supports international communication at all..

Mine is a private website, and has nothing to do with BT. Its limited to connections coming from BT IP adresses only, to control the amount of traffic.

0 Ratings
gaztech46
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 23

Go to solution

Workaround....

This might help any other users that have the same issue as me.

I'm hoping that it will only be a temporary measure but I'm not holding my breath...

Ok, so this is very messy but it's the only way I can get Outlook to behave in reasonable manner...  This is what you have to do:

Set up a GMail account on Google (doesn't matter what the mail address is but it's handy if you can get it to "resemble" your BT one if possible). Plug all the details of this into Outlook as a NEW account but use your existing Outlook Data file. Check that it all works (send a mail to the GMail address and check that it comes into Outlook). Now SEND a message back to GMail or reply to the message you just got. If all is well then continue......>>>

Open the BTInternet Mail account profile (the one that doesn't work).

Copy the smtp portion of the GMail profile (just write it down first) into the BTinternet mail profile. The idea is to use google's smtp server to send mail instead of the stubborn BT one.

Go to the "More Settings" button and select the Outgoing Server tab. Check "My outgoing server requires authentication"and then select "Log On using" and fill in your full gmail address and password details.

Now go to the "Advanced" tab and fill in the Outgoing Server details as Port 587 and select "TLS" as the type if encrypted connection.

Close the window and press "Next" and then "Finish" to store the details.

(Note:  Use Mail server details as: smtp.gmail.com)

Now turn on "forwarding" on the Gmail account. Log into your gmail account using a browser and select "Settings" - you will see forwarding in there. Fill in details of your BTinternet account as requested. When you click ok, a mail will be sent to your BTinternet mail account for verification. Check your Outlook mailbox for the mail. Verify the mail with the verification code and you're good to go.

Now, all mail sent to your BTInternet mail address, PLUS all mail sent to your gmail account will then arrive in your standard Outlook Inbox.

Replying to a mail coming in will send the recipient your gmail mail address (as Google appends this address to it) but if the recipient subsequently replies to this, the mail still ends up in your Outlook Inbox. Either address will work which means you WILL get the reply. This is where it's a little messy but it will work and is essentially transparent.

It works fine but it really is like a hammer to crack a nut.  I/We shouldn't have to do this just to get email to SEND but there it is...

Hopefully this may help a few people out there.

As I've already said, this is very messy and dirty but it does give me a way to achieve what i need - no thanks to BT.

As BT refuse to do anything I suppose I'll have to stick with it. I'm not going to mark this post as "resolved" as the issue really ISN'T resolved. I've just had to make do and put on a rather large Band-Aid. I'm not happy about it as BT just get away with doing precisely nothing. I'm still not impressed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 23

Go to solution

Have you tried the Yahoo server's settings with your BT email?

POP

Incoming:

Requires SSL (Secure Socket Layer)

• Server - pop.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 995
  • Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing:

Requires TLS (Transport Layer Security)

• Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 465 or 587
  • Requires SSL - Yes
  • Requires authentication - Yes

IMAP

Incoming:

Yahoo! Mail IMAP server address: imap.mail.yahoo.com 

• Yahoo! Mail IMAP port: 993
  • Yahoo! Mail IMAP TLS/SSL required: yes

Outgoing

• Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port: 465 or 587
  • Requires SSL: Yes
  • Requires authentication: Yes
0 Ratings
gaztech46
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 23

Go to solution

Yes. Tried that ages ago.

Can't even log on to the Yahoo servers. Probably because my mail has been ported away from Yahoo now onto the newer BT Mail service. I'm on Premium Mail too so that probably adds another blooper into the mix.

It's still an ongoing problem and I have to say, I'm surprised that BT cannot or will not sort this out.

Thanks for the heads up though. Any other thoughts anyone may have would be useful.

0 Ratings
gaztech46
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 23

Go to solution

Fair enough. Makes sense I guess.

0 Ratings
gaztech46
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 23

Go to solution

The problem is solved - at last!

I have to hold my hands up on this one as it was a piece of MY equipment that was causing the symptom but... BT were at fault too.

The actual "fault" only came to light when a sharp engineer from the mail server team clocked that my send box (at the server) was stuffed with unsent messages.

I only send about 3 a day so I knew that these had not been sent by me.

Checking the dates of the first message it appears that on that date, I had updated the firmware on my NAS drive. The new firmware had detected an anomaly with the configuration and was madly trying to send me messages to that effect.

Since BT took my mailbox offline in January, these messages (at least one a day until the end of March) were merely filling up my SEND box and never going anywhere since as far as the server was concerned, the mailbox didn't exist.

I had no way of knowing that these messages were in there and preventing any send operations via smtp.

Working with this guy, he was able to release all the messages in the send box, have them delivered to me and then I was able to not only identify where these had come from but I was also able to identify the cause.

Necessary reconfiguration done, now everything works.

So, I'll hold my hands up for the original fault but if BT had not taken my mailbox offline in January I would have received all the sent messages and picked this up. I repeatedly asked for the server config to be checked but no-one would listen.

I'm now happy. Thanks are due to the server team. The support guys are still useless but it's comforting to know that there are at least some people that really know their stuff.