cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Hacked account and I can't get into Account info to change things

Go to solution

Hi All,

My dad's bt yahoo email was hacked, he is overseas with no internet connection. Damage has been done so he called me, gave me access to everything and asked me to try to restore security for him. I have reset his password, turned off all the filters BUT I can't get into my account information to make any changes to my security questions, see account access locations and I can't delete the created(?) alias accounts from settings (his first name followed by number @Yahoo.com) which he has never seen before. 

When I select account information I receive this message: Could not Connect. Description: could not connect to the requested server host or I receive the Timeout Message. 

I have tried Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Safari on my PC & Mac all with the same outcome. I have tried all the advice I could find in this forum and it all sends me through the same loop every time.

I tried to get help from BT but Dad doesn't have an account number anymore, he moved back to Australia so help desk couldn't help me without an account number. I am also in Australia so it has been difficult to get through to anyone at on the phone.

I think the hackers are still lurking, I am not receiving message delivery fail notices when I email accounts I verify as not existing.

Can anyone help me gain access to account information?

Thanks

Gen

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Hacked account and I can't get into Account info to change things

Go to solution

Why do you think the email account was hacked?

If you are no longer a BT customer and no longer live in the UK I doubt you will get any help with this. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Hi,

The account was hacked, the police are involved. I don't really want to discuss the particulars of the hacking.

I realise BT might not help due not having a BT account anymore. However, it seems odd to me that account information can't be accessed. Looking through the forum this has happened to other people. The last forum post about this issue by a mod said BT were working on the problem, but in the meantime, they could solve this on an individual basis. 

I am hoping that they are willing to help me solve this irrespective of the status of other current BT accounts.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

If the e-mail account is no longer owned by a current BT account holder, then it would have been deleted, unless the person was paying BT £5 a month for BT Premium Mail.

BT are in the process of deleting email addresses that are no longer associated with a BT account, or Premium Mail.

This is why the account cannot be accessed any more.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

@Genevieve4078132 wrote:

Hi,

The account was hacked, the police are involved. I don't really want to discuss the particulars of the hacking.

I realise BT might not help due not having a BT account anymore. However, it seems odd to me that account information can't be accessed. Looking through the forum this has happened to other people. The last forum post about this issue by a mod said BT were working on the problem, but in the meantime, they could solve this on an individual basis. 

I am hoping that they are willing to help me solve this irrespective of the status of other current BT accounts.

Are you trying to access the account information in "basic" or "fully featured" mode ?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

I am using basic mode.

Delivery failed emails/notifications are also not working. I have sent a few emails to known non-existent email addresses and I don't receive the failure email (I do receive the failure email when I use another email account).

Should I call help desk? the online help couldn't help me last night (AUS time).

Thanks to everyone about the information regarding BT accounts, I have now read all the terms / conditions.

I can't speak to my dad for the next 24hr so I can't check but he might have a premium account paying the 5 pounds per month. He is in the UK for a few months every year and has always wanted to keep his BT email account. I just can't contact him to ask.

Thanks

Gen

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Hi All,

He has a Premium account and pays the 5 pounds per month. So I should be able to access his account information and I should be able to see delivery failures.

I can't get through to the help desk and the online chat won't help as it is related to a premium email account.

Thanks

Gen

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

I suspect your problem is due to the fact that BT is not allowing you to access your account information because you are trying to do it outside the UK.

You could try "fully featured" instead of "Basic" but I think you may have a similar problem.

You can switch from one mode to the other without  causing problems.

I have sent you a private message. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

BT should be able to assist with this if you father is paying for the Premium email service.

I doubt there will be anything any forum member can do for you so I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can over 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

THANK YOU ALL.

I used my VPN and got into account information and change everything. Me not being in the UK was the problem. I switched between basic and fully featured to prove no one was forwarding emails and all settings were correct.

I still need to speak to BT, who are calling me back tonight in Melbourne (in 21hours) via a conference call (I hope they manage the meeting ID number) to find out why I am not getting delivery fail emails, but that is such a small problem.

I am trying to find the BT email account activity log, does anyone know where it is?

Thanks

Gen

0 Ratings