cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nibz
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Has my account been migrated? Forced to update all passwords

So yesterday morning (Thursday 10th Oct 2019) at 09.35 I received an unsolicited text message from BT telling me that my e-mail address had been blocked as it might not be secure anymore. To unblock it I had to go to bt.com/mybt. Sitting in front of my PC at 2.45pm I decided to do the necessary and went onto the mybt page where I was forced to create new passwords for my BTID, Primary and Sub e-mail accounts. That did however allow mw back into my e-mail using the PC and Webmail (still badged as BTYahoo so presume I’m still on the BTYahoo platform), however I noted that I had no e-mails between 09.19 and 14.49 which is very odd as I’d usually have between 40 and 60 during the day.

So next I need to update MS Outlook as that is my preferred e-mail client, however MS Outlook repeatedly failed to accept the new passwords, even using the manual update method; so having had this issue before I decide to leave that for 24 hours and retry later.

So onto my iPhone, I get a message (I guess from the server) that states “it looks like I might have selected Yahoo when setting up the e-mail, re-do using other”. I did use Yahoo as that was the instructions from BT. However I can’t update with a new password, I have to create a new “Other” account which does work. Are BT migrating users accounts between servers (possibly why I’m missing e-mails for the best part of yesterday) without alerting customers to the fact and just sending out text messages to get us to change passwords to re-enable the account on the new server.

This morning I tried again to update the passwords on MS Outlook and they both updated this morning.

However, I’m still confused as to what server my account is actually on, is it the BT Mail server or BTYahoo server?

When I use WebMail it clearly still shows as BTYahoo mail, but I’ve had to delete the Yahoo details from the Iphone and create an “other” account. Rant over!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Has my account been migrated? Forced to update all passwords

Your email account has not been migrated however you can no longer use the Yahoo log in page or the Yahoo server settings on your email clients/apps as you could in the past. 

The correct settings are as per this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

@Nibzwrote:

However, I’m still confused as to what server my account is actually on, is it the BT Mail server or BTYahoo server?

When I use WebMail it clearly still shows as BTYahoo mail, but I’ve had to delete the Yahoo details from the Iphone and create an “other” account. Rant over!

Hi.

The servers for BTMail and BTYahoo are the same, and always have been. The Yahoo servers can be used for BTYahoo accounts only, but this should be used for a short period of time as a temporary measure as BT may not recognise the account being accessed and the account can then be deleted.

"Other" too has always been the correct account type, the Yahoo one can put in the Yahoo servers which is not correct.

The accounts are NOT Yahoo, never have been - they are BTinternet ones. BTYahoo is simply the term used for email accounts run by the Yahoo supplier.

As you see a Yahoo image top left in webmail, your account is BTYahoo (again, not a Yahoo account).

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917

BT effectively have caused this confusion over the years.

BT are not migrating any accounts between servers, that was permanently stopped in Sep 2014.

Are you sure you're missing emails? Is it possible you simply had none during that period?

0 Ratings
Nibz
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the speedy reply; any idea why I have lost 6 hours worth of e-mails then, I made the assumption that BT blocking the email account would stop emails being accessed or sent out, not that inbound e-mails would be dumped till I changed the passwords.

0 Ratings
Nibz
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Hi and thanks for the clarification. As for the missing e-mails, yes, I'm pretty sure I've lost some emails as the last e-mail I've had yesterday morning was timed at 09:19 (fifteen minutes prior to the text from BT) and the next e-mail was timed at 14:49 (about 5 minutes after I updated the passwords). It is entirely possible that by fluke I didn't get any sent between those times but I can't believe that to be the case given the usual volume of emails I get spread across the day.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

As regards your lost email, it may be that they will eventually arrive so it could be that it just a case of wait and see.

If they don't arrive by tomorrow you could try and "restore" them.

see link for BTYahoo email accounts.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/54829/~/bt-yahoo-mail---i%E2%80%99ve-lost-or-deleted-...

and if that doesn't work post back to see if there is some other option that could be used.

0 Ratings