cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GSB1
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Have BT blocked sending of email from other domains?

I use (well up to some point in the last week I used to anyway) my btinternet.com smtp credentials to send email from my own domain name. Now this does not work.

My first thought was to check if I could still send via my domain name from the bt mail website and I cannot see the option or anywhere to configure it.

Has anyone had the same? Is this no longer supported? This is going to prove somwhat of an issue for me if so.

Graham

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Have BT blocked sending of email from other domains?

Still works fine for me both for an account on BTYahoo and also BTMail using Outlook 2010

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

Are you getting an error message or is it that the sent mails are not being received?

0 Ratings
GSB1
Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Thanks for both replies.

It is of some reassurance that it still works for some. In fact I have just determined it works for my wife who has a BT email account which is a sub account of my bt account, and also has an email address using my domain name.

However using my btmail account there is definately an issue. If I use smtp to send as my at btinternet.com address, the mail gets sent and the recipient receives. If I use the same smtp configuration but try and send using my own domain name email address, the email sends but does not get delivered to the recipient. THis is a configuration that has been working for years,

This has only been occuring since Thursday or Friday. I sent lots of test emails last night and none have arrived and no delivery failure or delay notifications either.

I called BT earlier and was told the department would need to call me and I have a slot tomorrow morning. I am not too hopeful though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Try adding 65.20.0.0/24 to your SPF record at your domain.

I guess if your wife's address works ok, just use that to authenticate with rather than your's, it doesn't really matter what address you use.

0 Ratings
GSB1
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Thanks again.

I am unsure of how to apply the SPF record at the moment. However the issue seems specific to my account affecting more than one domain that I own (from different domain providers).

As a temporary work around I am using my gmail account smtp for the minute.

I would like to get to the bottom of the BT account issue though. At present I am wondering when the sub accounts that presently work might stop. BT support called back and just showed me how to add an external account in btmail. This did not help as this is for adding external accounts, not just sending as a different address as was previously possible in webmail. 

0 Ratings
GSB1
Contributor
Message 7 of 15

I have been sending to an outlook.com account to test.

Since this morning sending as my domain name email via BT smtp has not worked (nothing received in the hotmail account).

My wife sending using the same domain via her BT sub account smtp credentials works. I receive the email as normal.

If I send as my domain address using gmail smtp credentials again works.

I have just tried again sending as my domain address using my BT smtp credentials again (original config). Now the emails are received, but are flagged by Outlook.com with "This sender failed our fraud detection checks and may not be who they appear to be".

It is as if when using my BT credentials for SMTP, that my domain is not trusted. Yet it is for other accounts. How can this be? Is there even the remotest chance of getting in contact with someone that can really support this?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

This is where the SPF record comes in, it will then show that your domain is allowed to use BT's SMTP server. Why it is inconsistent, I don't know.

GSB1
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Can you advise if the following txt record looks correct please:

"v=spf1 ip4:65.20.0.0/24 -all"

I would like gmail to also be able to send as my domain (which it can at present although I am wary of breaking), so I would need to find the address range for gmail also and add in a similar format, correct?

0 Ratings
GSB1
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Actually I see that google recommend NOT to have multiple SPF records and to include all details in one record:

https://support.google.com/a/answer/4568483?hl=en&ref_topic=2759192

So I think what I need to add is this:

v=spf1 ip4:65.20.0.0/24 include:_spf.google.com ~all

Are you familair enough with the syntax to tell me if that is good?

What I am unsure of also, is that if I should only have one SPF record, what I should do with the existing SPF TXT entry, which is a redirect. Shall I just remove this for now? Lastly what about the existing DKIM record, can this remain?

Any guidance appreciated.

0 Ratings