cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EBowman
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Having trouble accessing my Inbox via the iPhone

My BT account used to play nicely with my iPhone, but no longer.  I cannot access the Inbox via my iPhone Mail app.  I have made the workaround of creating a new folder and rule on the BT side so that the mail starts to synch again, but this seems awkward at best.  I was wondering if anybody has found a defintive solution to this issue.

My e-mail ends in '@btinternet.com' and I use the standard Mail app on my iPhone.  I can use the web browser to access my mail but I loathe the ads (I pay for the service so what is with the ads, anyway?).

I know that BT only guarantees access via webmail, but does anybody feel BT's failure to address the iPhone/iPad mail issue is lame?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: Having trouble accessing my Inbox via the iPhone

Unable to access could be due to various issues. your workaround is awkward and should not be needed.

On the mail app, do you get an error message pop up?

Are you using mail.btinternet.com for your SMTP and IMAP server settings? (can be found under settings, password/accounts, clicking your email, and clicking you email under IMAP)

What happens when you delete the account and add it again?

0 Ratings
EBowman
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Having trouble accessing my Inbox via the iPhone

Thought I had replied to this, but in any case I agree I shouldn't need a workaround.  Every organisation I know that offers e-mails manages this OK except for BT, a company dedicated to communication technology.

To answer your questions:

1. I do not get error messages on the mail app on my iPhone, but please note my workaround confirms that a connection to the BT mail server is possible.  Other reporting the same problem have indicated error messages in MacOS mail program, as well as MS Outlook etc.  To quote one user: 'The error messages reported by the various programs include "Failed to update headers", "The UID of a message changed unexpectedly. This typically indicates a server error" and "Your server reported a UID that doesn't comply with IMAP standards" (Outlook) and "Unavailable UID fetch" (Thunderbird).' (see link).
  2. I am using mail.btinternet.com for SMTP and IMAP.  Again, since my workaround does work, the issue is specific to the Inbox and is not some glaobal issue with the connection to the mail server.
  3. Multiple attempts at deleting the account on my iPhone and adding it again did not sort the problem.

So far as I can tell nobody has been able to sort the problem.  For some the problem seems to resolve itself after a time, but for others like me it hasn't.

0 Ratings