Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andy_247
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

Help! Sending out rogue emails

Hi all,

My mum has a BT Internet email account - and over last 6 months she has had a problem with her email account sending rogue emails to her address book (i.e. normally with a link in them to entice them to click on).

When this originally happened, I simply changed her password and this solved the problem for a couple of months. Then just before Christmas it happened again, so I did the same. And the cycle has repeated a couple of times since Christmas too.

Because of the constant recurrence of this problem, it's leading me to think that something deeper is a fault. At a guess, I'm assuming one of her regular web pages is a bit dodgy or a virus has got onto the machine.

I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has any ideas about how to solve the problem??

Cheers

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Help! Sending out rogue emails

It will probably be that her account was hacked the first time end the spammers now have her contact list. They are now probably spoofing her email address and using it to send the emails so changing her password won't help. There is not much you can do now that they have the contact list.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Have a read through this link in case the account was hacked and also make sure you check that there are no forwarding addresses set up.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39411/

see this link about spoofing email address

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spoofing

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

I suspect GG's first answer is correct, but it wouldn't hurt to download Malwarebytes and run a scan just in case.

0 Ratings
andy_247
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

Thanks guys, this really helps - is there a way to tell if they are using a spoof email address? i.e. will the sender address look different?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

It can be difficult depending on a number of factors. If you do a search of the Internet for "how to tell if email address is spoofed" you will find a number of sites that will explain it rather than trying to write it all in here.

Probably the best thing to keep in mind is no reputable company and especially a bank or credit card company will ask you to enter any security details or log into their company by an email link. Do not click on any links in emails until you have hovered your mouse over them to see where they will take you and if in any doubt don't click on it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

@andy_247 wrote:

Hi all,

My mum has a BT Internet email account - and over last 6 months she has had a problem with her email account sending rogue emails to her address book (i.e. normally with a link in them to entice them to click on).

When this originally happened, I simply changed her password and this solved the problem for a couple of months. Then just before Christmas it happened again, so I did the same. And the cycle has repeated a couple of times since Christmas too.

Because of the constant recurrence of this problem, it's leading me to think that something deeper is a fault. At a guess, I'm assuming one of her regular web pages is a bit dodgy or a virus has got onto the machine.

I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has any ideas about how to solve the problem??

Cheers

Hi.

It's unlikely to be a virus, because that would still need to access the (assumed) webmail in order to send emails "from" her account.

It is possible that the account has been hacked again as Yahoo! had yet another issue earlier this year. This time they are blaming it on a 3rd party database issue - however I'm not clear whether it affects their partner ISPs as well as "normal" Yahoo! emails. Sky are now a Yahoo! partner, and their users are reporting similar issues.

The issue here is that the emails are going to the "address book". To me it is unlikely that spammers only have user accounts and associate just a few addresses after the initial hack over a year ago.

The way to check this is add a throwaway gmail address to the address book, one that can be checked for receipt. This will show for certain if the spammer has only "old" associated addresses.

May I be bold to ask to make sure that she has definitely not clicked on any received emails she believes might be from BT ? There are a lot going around unfortunately.

andy_247
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

She's actually very good at not clicking on links in emails, I've taught her all about phishing emails.

Weirdly, I'm in her address book but, although I got one or two rogue emails from her last year, I haven't had anything for the last few times..?

Interestingly, my sister-in-law had a rogue email from my mum - and has just told us she also had one from her friend who is also on BT email.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

The best thing to do is to install on her computer an email client such as Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail and save all her contacts onto that.

Once done delete all the contacts from the BTYahoo account. This will prevent the contacts from being accessed should the account be hacked again. 

Read through this thread for info about using an email client.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/WEBMAIL-PROBLEMS-AGAIN-quot-Sorry-your-session-h...

Highlighted
andy_247
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

Thanks guys, I'll give that a go
0 Ratings