Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jannon123
Message 1 of 10

Historical emails, folders and calendar entries

Go to solution

Hi, I wonder if you can help. 

An elderly relative has reinstalled office 2007 because he’s updated his operating system from vista to xp.

however since reinstalling he’s not been after to get all his old emails back .  There’s about 6 years worth of critical information.

i have had a look - know a little , not much - I can’t see any backed up email files or outlook profile.

and the fresh install has configured the email account as IMAP ( don’t know for sure what it was on before, he says he’s missing some features he had before like customised flags.m

anyway, the point is does BT have access to or keep files of historical emails , if so how long? And if you do, how would he acces to them?  Could he just log in online to access these emails?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Historical emails, folders and calendar entries

Go to solution

If he has installed a new operating system it will have over written any files that were on the computer. If he did not make a backup of the email file system prior to  installing the operating system the files are lost.

He may be lucky and the emails could still be in his BT email account on the BT servers. If he logs onto his BT email account via this link he will be able to check if the emails are still there. If they are not there then the emails are lost and can not be recovered.

BT Email

If you have set up his email account as an IMAP account and it is working correctly it should have synchronised with the BT servers and if the emails were still on the server you would have been able to see them. As you never got them I suspect they will not be there.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Depending how the operating system was done, data files might still exist. Search the hard drive for .PST files.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

If going from Vista to XP it will need to have been a fresh install so the files will have been wiped.

0 Ratings
Jannon123
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for coming back to me. His email account waa already set up by the time I got to him. He’s got some emails - from a couple of weeks prior to the revamp and everything else is all new.

i only mentioned the IMAP as that’s what the account settings said in outlook. And some features in outlook are different now than before when he was on vista.

oh. That’s disappointing. I assumed the ISP would keep emails , even if it was as a file type format rather than email.  So there is definitely no way of retrieving old files / folders / emails?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

If Outlook was previously configured as POP3 without 'leave a copy of the message on the server' ticked, then each time it connected it would just download the mail and delete it from the server.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

If he has logged onto his email account via webmail using a browser and they are not there then they are lost and BT will not recover them.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Can't rather than will not.Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

Can't rather than will not.Smiley Wink

I suspect they could if there was a court order from the security services!

0 Ratings
Jannon123
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Well my relative is ex military maybe he could leverage that 🤔

0 Ratings