cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JJIP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

How can I close down an old hacked btinternet.com email account?

Go to solution

For many years I had a btinternet.com email account, from when I was also a BT customer.  Some years ago I ceased to be a BT customer but carried on using my btinternet.com email address.  Service for this address was then passed on to Yahoo.

Last year this account was hacked and I have been locked out of it ever since.  I followed all the links available for changing passwords etc, but nothing helped.  I was then advised that BT could not help me since I was no longer a BT customer and that Yahoo could not help me since they were no longer providing support for btinternet.com email addresses.  Accordingly I abandoned hope and opened my current Gmail account instead.

Whoever hacked into my account is now sending out annoying emails to a number of people who were on my old contacts list.

Is there any way that this account can be blocked or closed down?  Or is there any way I can at least regain access to it, since a number of emails in my folders have family photos attached to them?

Do please help if you can!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: How can I close down an old hacked btinternet.com email account?

Go to solution

If your email address was hacked it would not make any difference if you closed it down or not. When it was hacked the hackers would have harvested your contacts email addresses and would now be free to use them any time they want.

The email they send is probably not coming from your account. The hackers will more likely be spoofing your email address to make it look like it is from you in order to "fool" your contacts in to believing it is from you and therefore "safe".

All you can do is tell your contacts to treat any emails from that address as spam and to delete or block them.

See ink about spoofing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spoofing

0 Ratings
JJIP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks, but I'm not sure this is a spoofing issue.  Whoever got into my btinternet.com account seems to have changed my password and there's no way I can access it.

Annoyingly, I actually deleted all my Contacts a couple of weeks before my account was hijacked, but this doesn't seem to have prevented them from being accessed.

I did my best to notify actual contacts, via Twitter, LinkedIn and email from my new account, but the number of contacts was very large and I didn't come close to being able to notify them all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Without seeing the headers from the emails that were "sent" from your account it is not possible to confirm one way or the other if your account has been spoofed or if it is being used.

Other than being unable to log into your account, which may not be related, why do you think your account was hacked last year?

If your contacts were deleted just prior to when you suspected your account was hacked the hackers could not have harvested them. 

It is more likely that if your account was a BTYahoo account, it was probably one of the 500million Yahoo accounts that were hacked in 2014 and your contacts were probably harvested at that time and the hackers have now started using them.

I think it is now normal for BT and Yahoo to delete email accounts if they have not been used within a period of 90 days. If your account has not been used by you and assuming it was not hacked other than possibly in 2014 it may well be that this is what has happened and is the reason you can not now access the account.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

@JJIP wrote:

Thanks, but I'm not sure this is a spoofing issue.  Whoever got into my btinternet.com account seems to have changed my password and there's no way I can access it.

Annoyingly, I actually deleted all my Contacts a couple of weeks before my account was hijacked, but this doesn't seem to have prevented them from being accessed.

I did my best to notify actual contacts, via Twitter, LinkedIn and email from my new account, but the number of contacts was very large and I didn't come close to being able to notify them all.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

(Assuming you're still with BTYahoo) have you tried the forgotten password route ?

https://register.btinternet.com/cgi-bin/load_page?page=/selfhelp/pwdRst_username.html

You will need to remember the security question answers ...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

If the account has been hacked it won't help as it is extremely likely the security questions will also have been changed. If it is a result of a previous hack and the mails are spoofed it won't help either as that which has been stolen can't be 'unstolen'.

0 Ratings
JJIP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

The 'forgotten password' route was the first thing I tried! Alas, it brought no joy.

0 Ratings
BT Email Expert
BT Email Expert
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

If you have a BTID

log-in to myBT (bt.com click mybt button)

select manage extras from the my package area

scroll down to the email extras section and select manage email

you will see a list of email addresses associated with your account and can delete them from there.

If you don't have a BTID

You will need to first create a BTID which can be done from the log-in page by clicking sign-up button at the top, you will need your billing account number.

Hope that helps.

Simon.

0 Ratings
JJIP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks, Simon-D. My problem remains. 

I don't have a BTID and, since it is many years since I have held a BT account of any description, I don't have any billing details from which to create a BTID.  

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@JJIP Please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll be happy to help. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings