cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

How can I close down an old hacked btinternet.com email account?

Go to solution

For many years I had a btinternet.com email account, from when I was also a BT customer.  Some years ago I ceased to be a BT customer but carried on using my btinternet.com email address.  Service for this address was then passed on to Yahoo. I switched to a Gmail account many years back and configured that to collect my email, which it still seems to do.

I seem to be receiving emails from companies I have never visited, via my old btinternet.com mail address, into my Gmail account. I therefore think that this account has been hacked, but I don't seem to be able to login to a mailbox anywhere for it. I logged in to a BT account with an old password, but it says I don't have a mailbox. So where exactly is this mail I'm receiving being hosted??

Is there any way that this account can be blocked or closed down? 

Do please help if you can! Many thanks! Neil

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: How can I close down an old hacked btinternet.com email account?

Go to solution
OK, somehow I managed to get to a mailbox, but I cannot find any way of closing the account. Trying links from a Google search for closing Yahoo or BT accoutns don't load 😞
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

@neilmckirdydeadmanwrote:

For many years I had a btinternet.com email account, from when I was also a BT customer.  Some years ago I ceased to be a BT customer but carried on using my btinternet.com email address.  Service for this address was then passed on to Yahoo. I switched to a Gmail account many years back and configured that to collect my email, which it still seems to do.

I seem to be receiving emails from companies I have never visited, via my old btinternet.com mail address, into my Gmail account. I therefore think that this account has been hacked, but I don't seem to be able to login to a mailbox anywhere for it. I logged in to a BT account with an old password, but it says I don't have a mailbox. So where exactly is this mail I'm receiving being hosted??

Is there any way that this account can be blocked or closed down? 

Do please help if you can! Many thanks! Neil

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Not sure why you think the account has been hacked, it's simply receiving emails from companies that are either spamming it - or people have registered that email address with the companies.

Try :-

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

to login.

If you don't use the account anyway - just stop your Gmail address from fetching emails from the BTinternet account.

If you're not a BTBroadband customer or paying to receive BT Premium Mail - then the account can actually be deleted at any time.

But stopping Gmail from accessing it, that will set  timer of 90 days, then a further 60 days - after which the account will be deleted.

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi, 

Bad editing made it sound like I thought it was hacked because of spam, I understand that spam is easy to get without being hacked, but I've seen emails sent to friends/family from that account.

I'll stop Gmail retrieving email and let the account die.

Thanks,

Neil

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

What may have happened is that your account was hacked when the Yahoo email system was hacked a few years back. The hackers will have harvested your contacts details at that time.

They now have your contacts email addresses and can send spam/phishing emails to them at anytime.  The emails are not coming from your account, instead they will be getting sent from an account using a spoofed email address purporting to be from your account. This is to make it look like the email is genuine and safe.

If you get one of your contacts to hover their mouse over the "from" address of the spam email they will see where it originated from.

As a result of this it will probably make no difference whether or not you delete your account because the emails are not originating from it.

If you do stop using it the spammers can still send spoofed emails to your contacts so make sure that you advise them to ignore any emails from that address.

0 Ratings