cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PJC64
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

How can I close down an old hacked btinternet.com email account?

Go to solution

For many years I had a talk21.com which later was migrated into a btinternet.com email account, from when I was a BT customer.   Service for this address was then passed on to BT Yahoo. I wish to delete this account. 

I learnt that this account was hacked last year and I deleted all addresses from the address book. Although I can still get into the account I cannot delete it since I do not have a BT ID and cannot get one.  Although things went quiet for a while a few weeks ago a hacker sent out out loads of annoying emails to a number of people who were on my old contacts list. I have asked friends to send any such emails to their Spam box.

I would feel a lot better if this account can be blocked or closed down. Is there any way it could be done?  

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: How can I close down an old hacked btinternet.com email account?

Go to solution

@PJC64 Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team and we'll be happy to help you get the old email account deleted. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum. @PJC64 

There is nothing you can do to stop a spammer sending emails pretending that they come from you, once they know your email address.

Even if the account was deleted, which will happen automatically as you are not a BT Broadband customer, they can still send bulk emails to your contacts, which appear to come from you. Its very easy to alter the email header to make it look that way.

PJC64
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks Keith,

For some reason this account was not automatically deleted when I left BT several years ago. And I have warned friends to send Spoof emails to Spam.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@PJC64wrote:

Thanks Keith,

For some reason this account was not automatically deleted when I left BT several years ago. And I have warned friends to send Spoof emails to Spam.

For added information, sometimes the email might appear to come from you using your name, but the email address is not the "usual one" and might be something else after the @.

Spammers know that users might change their email address, but not their name, and even if you've told your contacts to delete anything "from" the old address - they might believe your new address is valid.

Due to the inherent issues it seems with webmail (certainly in the past), I don't believe storing contacts within that system is best - hence use a mail client, and only use webmail sporadically.

Unfortunately the spammers/hackers already have the contacts list associated with a user ...

0 Ratings
PJC64
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the advice. Generally I use a desktop Outlook but you I'm going straight away to clear out anyway the online address book of my new email account- just in case. (I've noticed they fill it up automatically too)

0 Ratings
Cull
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
I have the same issue with a talk21 account which has been hacked and I can't seem to delete it as I do not have a BT ID.

Please can you advise how to permanently delete this email address?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @Cull  welcome to the forum and thanks for posting about your talk21 email address. I've sent you a Private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team and we will be happy to help you with this. 
Check here: https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

cheers
John

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @Cull  the email team have confirmed that the email address has now been deleted. Would you check and post back if you need any further help with this.

cheers
John

0 Ratings