cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jillity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

How do I delete a deceased person's email account?

I can't find any way of deleting my late husband's email account.  I'm finding it very distressing.  My friend is actually receiving emails from the account and she is very upset.  I thought when I informed BT of his death the email account would automatically close.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: How do I delete a deceased person's email account?

Hi Jillity,

Welcome back to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss and I understand how upsetting it must be for both you and your friend.

Do you have access to the MyBT account associated with the email address, if so can you try these steps?

1. Log into www.bt.com/MyBT with your BT ID
  2. If you've got broadband with BT, select Manage Extras, then scroll down and select Manage BT Email
  3. Premium email customers will need to select the Premium Mail link and then Manage BT Email
  4. Next select the email address or addresses you want to delete and confirm. You may be asked to provide the password
  5. Once you've deleted the email address, we'll send you an email confirmation. We'll also send one to the user of the email address so they can take action to keep their email access

Thanks 

Matt

0 Ratings
Jillity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Thank you for tking the time to reply.  My late husband just had one email address with BT and if I log in using that email I can't delete the account because I'm logged in.   This should be something simple to do for someone who has been bereaved and yet it seems impossible.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

@Jillity

We will need to take this one in to have a look at to see if we can delete the account for you. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

If somebody is receiving emails from your late husbands email account which are obviously not being sent from that account it would appear that the email account may have been hacked at some point in the past. This would have resulted in the hackers stealing his email contacts.

The hackers will be using or have sold on the contacts list to scammers  who will be using the contacts list to target your late husbands contacts.

The scammers know that by using the email address of somebody the contacts know there is a greater chance that the recipient will believe it to be a genuine email.

If the recipients hover their computer mouse over the email address which is purporting to be from your husband they will see the actual email address of where the email originated. It will undoubtedly not be from your husbands email account because the hackers/scammers have "spoofed" the email address to look like your late husband's.

Even if your husband's email account is deleted, the hackers/scammers can still send emails to the people on the contact list, which they now have in their possession and they can still make them appear to come from your husbands email account because they have spoofed the address.

You will, if possible need to advise the people in your husbands contact list to ignore and immediately delete any emails that purport from that email address. The scammers will eventually stop using the email list once they realise that they are not getting a response.

See link about spoofing.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spoofing#targetText=Email%20spoofing%20is%20the%20creation,the%2...

Jillity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Thank you.  I had a message to say that there was invalid html in my reply.  I didn't use any html tags but I tried again and hopefully the message was sent.

0 Ratings
Jillity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

My friend has deleted all the emails permanently but she says she will forward the next one to me.  I don't think she knows how to find out where the emails are coming from but if she sends them to me I will find out and will stop them. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

@Jillity

Your private message has not come into our queue yet. Would you be able to re-send the message so that we can make sure the message is not missed?

Matt

0 Ratings
Jillity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

I can't send it again as I received a message to say that I had sent the maximum number of private messages allowed.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Jillity

I have refreshed your private messages, can you try again, please?

0 Ratings