cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nik-halton
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

How does BT Mail determine what is SPAM and how do I stop it?

Does anyone know how BT Mail determines what a SPAM message is?

Spontaneously, last week, BT Mail started flagging all Emails from Twitter, Ebay and Paypal as SPAM.

It's been doing it ever since and it doesn't seem to learn from use of the "not SPAM" function so it keeps doing it.

Does anyone have any insight on:

1. why it might have decided to treat Ebay and Paypal as SPAM?

2. whether there is anything to be done about making it stop doing it?

While we're at it, is there a way on an Android device to access my SPAM folders? The Android Gmail app doesn't seem to allow access to the SPAM folder and even accessing webmail via the Chrome browser on the device doesn't display the SPAM folder.

I can only access it via a web browser on a Windows PC, it seems. Why is this?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: How does BT Mail determine what is SPAM and how do I stop it?

I don't think you will get an answer about how BT determine what is spam. If they gave out that information I suspect the spammers would be able to work around it.

As regards the Android gmail app not letting you see the spam folder. If you press on the three lines to the left of the inbox this will take you to the folders. Scroll down and spam should be there. If it is not it is possibly because it is set up as a POP account instead of an IMAP account.

If it still does not let you see it you could use the Aqua Mail App. I have it set up as an IMAP account which replicates all the folders that you can see when you log in on webmail.

I don't use Chrome so can't help you there other than to suggest it is possibly a mobile version that you are using. If you get an option, use the full version.

0 Ratings
nik-halton
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe the question I need to focus on is how do I, as a BT Mail user, get it to stop marking my legitimate Emails as SPAM.

the question about how does it determine what is SPAM was more around trying to identify why emails from these legitimate sources is suddenly being marked as SPAM after a long time of normal receipt.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Just keep marking them as Not Spam. I have found it does that occasionally then just as suddenly as it started it stops.

nik-halton
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

While I'm at it, I'd just like to congratulate BT Mail. In my SPAM folder today...
SUBJECT: Your latest BT bill is now online

I think we can probably stop worrying about Stephen Hawking's comments on Artificial Intelligence being bad for humanity. Artificial stupidity seems to be our main challenge at the moment.
0 Ratings