cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quaffa
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

How does one go about changing a primary email address?

I've been being bombarded with rather offensive spam on my primary email address for a few months now. I have put up with it for a while in the hope that it would cease, (and to save myself all the hassle associated with changing one's email address), but it hasn't stopped and I feel forced to do something about it.

I used a contact form on a BT Support website, (not sure which one), to ask for advice on how to change my email address, and last night an Asian gentleman telephoned me and a) Advised me to change my email passowrd at least every month, and b) Instructed me to forward each and every spam message to acceptable.use@btinternet. What he not do, however, was what I'd asked the question about...tell me how to change my primary email address.

I've subsequently received an email from abuse@bt.com advising me to run anti-virus software. Admittedly I was on a PC when the spam started, albeit one with what I believe to be decent anti-virus siftware running in it, (AVG), but I have now migrated to a Mac and the stuff is still coming, even with my old PC switched off completely.

I really believe now that the only real option open to me is to change my primary address.

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: How does one go about changing a primary email address?

You could always just forget about the primary account and just create a sub account. details here

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

The trouble with forgetting the primary account is that it's the one BT use to send you important service messages (and useless marketing ones).

It is possible for BT staff to change the address, if they know how and can be bothered.  There's no way you can do it yourself.

0 Ratings
RobertM
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Drop the moderators an email, they did it for me a couple of months ago.

Robert

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

@quaffa wrote:

I've been being bombarded with rather offensive spam on my primary email address for a few months now. I have put up with it for a while in the hope that it would cease, (and to save myself all the hassle associated with changing one's email address), but it hasn't stopped and I feel forced to do something about it.

I used a contact form on a BT Support website, (not sure which one), to ask for advice on how to change my email address, and last night an Asian gentleman telephoned me and a) Advised me to change my email passowrd at least every month, and b) Instructed me to forward each and every spam message to acceptable.use@btinternet. What he not do, however, was what I'd asked the question about...tell me how to change my primary email address.

I've subsequently received an email from abuse@bt.com advising me to run anti-virus software. Admittedly I was on a PC when the spam started, albeit one with what I believe to be decent anti-virus siftware running in it, (AVG), but I have now migrated to a Mac and the stuff is still coming, even with my old PC switched off completely.

I really believe now that the only real option open to me is to change my primary address.

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks in advance.

Hi.

Spam has nothing to do with you having a PC or Mac once your email is "out there". I'm surprised that the anti-spam systems on the mail servers hasn't picked up these and put them into the Spam folder (typically only visible via webmail).

Are you using webmail all the time, or use a local mail client program ?

If using webmail, then you can mark the offensive spam and click the Spam button. Hopefully the system will learn that they should be all put into the Spam folder.

Are you really getting a lot of these dodgy emails ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
quaffa
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Andy,

Yes, the 'SpamGuard' feature is weeding a lot of them out, and if I set that to 'delete immediately' it is true that I do not see many of the offending messages.

The trouble is, when it was set to do that I found I was missing some genuine messages too. So I had to revert the settings to 'delete once a week', and then trawl through all this rubbish to make sure none of the stuff in the spam folder was genuine. Which... well, it kind of misses the point of putting it in the spam folder, really.

I re-set my spam filter, since when I think there have been no more false positives, but I don't trust it, and so still find myself having to wade through this sewage.

In an ideal world I'd like to just use my email client, but of course I have to go onto the webmail first now and check what I'm getting before I ask that to get mail.

The quantity varies, but some days they're coming in at a rate of maybe thirty or so per day. They're all from different addresses too, so setting up a block filter isn't feasible.

Since my original post I've spoke with BT Internet Security, and they seem to concur with me that it is not a virus on my system, and that changing my primary address is really the only way forward. It is such a hassle to contemplate that I still haven't gone any further with that, and I'm still unsure how to go about it.

0 Ratings
mrsblobby
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Did BT ever complete this and change your primary email address?  I've been trying for 9 days now to get them to change mine and they keep assuring me they wil but they don't. 

Please can someone help me as I hate being fobbed off when all I want is to just change my primary email adress to another one.

thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

0 Ratings