cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

How to Recover a Frozen Sub Account Email Account?

Go to solution

I've been a btinternet customer for many years. I'm the primary BT account holder and, also for many years, my wife has had a sub-account email address (we still seem to be BT Yahoo when I go to Email on MyBT).

Yesterday my wife got a message that her btinternet email had been 'secured', which I believe means frozen. As the primary account holder, I received an email this morning to confirm this. I clicked on the link in the email from BT which gave my wife's email address (with asterisks for every other character) and said:

"To access it again, click here and follow the steps."

I clicked on the link but there were no steps. It just seemed to be my MyBT home page.

Her email address is currently missing from my list of sub-accounts when I go to Email and click on the wheel icon on the far right. It seems she's not permitted to do anything herself and has been told she has to go via the primary account holder (me).

How do I get her email address back?

Many thanks if you can help us.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to Recover a Frozen Sub Account Email Account?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks gg30340

I’ve been through all that but it gives me no info about the way to recover a locked email sub-account.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Has she tried logging onto her email account using a browser and if so what happens?

BT Email 

See this link

https://www.bt.com/help/email/why-has-my-bt-email-address-been-suspended-or-deleted-

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
I phoned BT and a very helpful lady talked me through the process. As the primary account holder, she asked me to log in using the btinternet.com email address I’d created fir my wife.

I had to choose ‘forgotten password’, which then generated a code that was sent to my mobile. I went through my security questions, and was then asked to create a new password. I did so, using a more complex password than the one she had been using.

I logged into Email on MyBT via my browser.

Later, I helped my wife update to the new password on all the devices she uses to access email. It worked and she is delighted.

The lady on the help desk was superb. But I wonder why BT hadn’t taken the trouble to explain that, as the primary account holder, I had to begin by logging in using my wife’s email address, rather than trying to control this sub account via my own log in.

Thanks everyone for your logical help and ideas. I hope this helps anyone else who funds themselves in a situation where a sub account has been locked.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @bcmartin1,

Thank you for posting back with an update. I'm glad the issue has been resolved.

PaddyB

0 Ratings