Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 20

I can't access my BT email

Go to solution

I need to access my BT email to find an old email.  

When I've tried to log in, it has rejected what I've entered; it has then told me it will give me my email address but I first need to input a four-digit PIN that it will text me. I've had four of these so far but every one of them then says my email address is XXXAToutlook.com 

This surely can't be right - shouldn't my email address be XXXATbtinternet.com or XXXATbtopenworld.com? Perhaps the system has changed!

So, what should I do now to access my BT email?

PS From memory, it used to be a BT Yahoo address but it was changed some years ago when Yahoo was seriously hacked - the thread on that topic is probably still the largest thread here - <90 pages I think.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: I can't access my BT email

Go to solution

Do you remember the old email address you are trying to log in to?

it sounds you have clicked on Forgotten BTID Username, there is no route for forgotten email in its own. 

A BTiD username can be any email address including outlook.com.

once you get the PIN and verify, do you recognise the outlook address as something you had in the past? 

Also your email is probably deleted if you haven’t used it for a long time.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

Hi. Yes I do remember my email addresses (one AT btinternet and the other AT btopenworld) and No I haven't clicked on "Forgotten ID" etc.  I don't get that far! I click on Mail and nothing happens.

It's worrying that you say "Also your email is probably deleted if you haven’t used it for a long time." When did this happen, how was it announced and did BT tell the individuals concerned before deleting their records?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

are you a BT broadband customer?  emails for non BT customers have been deleted after 90 days unless you select premium mail and pay the monthly cost

deleting emails has been happening for quite few years now and if only happened to you now then you have been lucky

there was not a yahoo email address but the original email was BTYAHOO (and the address ended @btopeworld.com) whereas the new email is BT Email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Hello imjolly.

Yes - I am a BT broadband customer.

I did say that there was an issue with the BTYahoo server. The major hack of the then BTYahoo server was in 2013 and the thread about it must still the largest ever posted on this forum: https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/BT-email-accounts-hacked/td-p/796762
But this is the first I've heard about mail accounts being closed - when did this happen and did BT tell affected customers?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

If you have been accessing the email account on a regular basis within a 90 day period it will not have been deleted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

Hello gg30340. I've kept my BT mail as a backup since changing to outlook.com some years ago.

I wasn't aware of the 90-days rule. When was this introduced and how were users told? It wouldn't have been difficult for BT to have emailed every user would it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

The 90 day rule has been in force for a good few years now. I don't recall the exact date.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

Hello again. I'd be very grateful if you would escalate this to a Moderator, please. In my opinion, BT shouldn't dump the emails I've been holding in my BT email account without telling me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

If the account has not been getting accessed how would BT be able to tell you? 

They can not send an email to another email address/account telling whoever may be that email account holder that some another email address/account is being deleted, that would no doubt be a breach of data protection laws.

I have made the moderators aware of your problem.

0 Ratings