cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iansally
Contributor
Message 1 of 28

I cannot access PDF files from my current BT Yahoo Mail account

Since downloading an updated version of Yahoo Mail a few months ago, I cannot now access PDF files from old e-mail messages which are located in the "Folders" section on the mail screen.  When trying to open them the message "Scanning Attachments" is displayed.  After about 60 seconds a Message is displayed "An Error Occurred whilst Downloading". This never used to happen with the previous version of Yahoo Mail.  I have tried to save the attachments to my laptop and the message reads "Scanning Attachments" which would signify that they had been saved due to no subsequent Error Message being displayed.  I have trawled all through my laptop and cannot find any of the alleged saved PDF files.

I am an old chap and not very computer literate and am hoping you professionals can come up with an answer and fix to this problem, which I believe, was not of my own making.

Whether this has any bearing on the matter, I changed about four months ago from BT Total BB to Infinity Opt1 which includes McAfee security built in as standard.  I have also, as an on-screen reminder, recently updated my Adobe Reader programme to version 11.  I cannot think of any other changes, apart from the new version of Yahoo Mail, that has made this problem come to light as it has. 

Your help and assistance in this matter would be most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks You

Ian.

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: I cannot access PDF files from my current BT Yahoo Mail account

Have a read through this thread, it may help you. If it doesn't come back and we'll try something else.

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/viewing-and-printing-attachments/td-p/819502

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 28

Your problem is typical of the many problems reported with McAfee, and that may well be the cause. McAfee is free with Infinity but isn't built-in in the sense that you have to take it. Is your previous anti-virus still installed? If so, you should get rid of one of them anyway, and the usual advice here would be to ditch McAfee.

Even if McAfee is the your only AV I would replace it. If your previous AV is no longer available there are plenty of free options, and Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is as good a choice as any. There's advice on uninstalling McAfee here.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 28

I would agree with pottyperson regarding McAfee and it would be worth trying his suggestion first.

iansally
Contributor
Message 5 of 28

Info helpful but nothing has worked unfortunately.  Still no access to my old PDF files.

Iansally

0 Ratings
iansally
Contributor
Message 6 of 28

Hi gg30340.

Thanks for the info but unfortunately nothing has worked.
Still cant access, open or save my old PDF files.
What can we try next please?

Iansally
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 28

What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

Did you try another browser along with all the other suggestions in my previous link?

What happens when you double click on the PDF file? Does an option box open at the foot of your screen?

Can you open “new” PDF files (Try sending one to yourself and open it) or does this happen to all PDF files.

Can you open PDF files that are already saved on your computer?

Can you open other attachments such as word documents and photos OK?

Did you try using an email client such as Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird ?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 28

Another thing to try is to check that your browser is configured to use Adobe .To configure the browser to use Adobe Reader to open PDF files:

1. Close your web browser.
2. Start Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
3. Choose Edit > Preferences.
4. Select Internet in the list on the left.
5. Deselect Display PDF in Browser, and click OK.
6. Restart Internet Explorer

Let me know if this works.

iansally
Contributor
Message 9 of 28

Hi Pottyperson,

Don't think it can be McAfee causing the problem as with the overall package this AV came with BT Total BB Opt2 and now with Infinity Opt1. In short McAfee has been my AV for over 5 years.

I still believe that the latest version of Yahoo Mail is the culprit.

Thanks anyway.

Ian
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 28

The message about scanning made me think AV. I wasn't necessarily blaming McAfee, but the problems reported with it have been so diverse that it struck me as a possibility. Might just be worth briefly disabling real-time scanning to see if that cures it.

I take your point about Yahoo! though. BT has picked more dodgy partners than Gail out of Corrie.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.