Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JohnD1
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

I have an old Talk21 email account that I *WANT TO* close down/delete

I know Talk21 is end of life, I don't use it anymore but there is no way for me to kill it off.  I havn't sent anything from it for 12 years!  but freinds of mine have recently received mail purporting to be from this account.  It still receives spam so presumably it is believed to be still active and therefore has not been deleted as some are reporting, the difference is that ***I WANT IT TO BE DELETED*** but can't.  Help please.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: I have an old Talk21 email account that I *WANT TO* close down/delete

The mail will not have come from your Talk21 account, it will have been spoofed to appear to be coming from that account. There is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent that from happening, anybody can make up any email address regardless of whether it exists or not.

Does the account appear in the list of addresses in manage mail options within MyBT?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

If your friends check the email headers they will probably find that the email is not coming from the Talk21 email account. It is probably being sent from elsewhere and it is spoofing the Talk21 address to make it look genuine and from you.

Your account was possibly hacked at some point in the past and your contacts details were harvested which means the hackers can use them at any time.

Even if the account is deleted spammers will no doubt still continue to send emails to your contacts using the spoofed address.

As regards getting it deleted I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are very busy at present so it can take up to 24 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Hi @JohnD1,

We can look into it for you to see if the email is still active. However; if you don't have an active BT account for that email address, we will have to ask you some security questions that we have on file for the email. I've sent you a private message telling you how you can contact us.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
JohnD1
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

I do appreciate that this will have been a spoof, it just prompted me to get the account tidied up/deleted as no longer needed.

0 Ratings