Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cassie
Contributor
Message 21 of 45

Re: I'm unable to send/receive btinternet.com emails using mail clients

Waste of time changing passwords, that's just the standard answer etc that shows up from Yahoo.
I never change my settings etc when this happens.
This problem is happening worldwide with Yahoo, check out Downdetector.com
0 Ratings
Lochar24
Beginner
Message 22 of 45

So with changing my password, will that make things worse. ?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 45

@Lochar24 wrote:
So with changing my password, will that make things worse. ?

Possibly but one thing is for sure, by changing it it will not solve it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 24 of 45

@Lochar24 wrote:
Matt, I use 2 I phones and 1 I pad. The mail app not working. Tried to log in through by yahoo site and it just says my password incorrect all the time. Bt chat has changed my password which i wasn't happy about but gave it a try but everything still not working.

This is for the general case when email access suddenly stops working after previously being fine - never ever let BT chat or any online service from BT change any settings - including passwords. This isn't the cause, and I've never worked out why they do this.

If you've not done so, change your password immediately - which again means changing your app access etc (which could mean setting the password in more than one place on certain systems).

Please can the BTMail helpdesk look at the forums and interact. There was a "BT-Mail expert" a while back posting, but was only here for a few days.

As I see it, there is only one possible reason for a password change, and that might be to kick-start the account database entry for the user to perhaps clear some debris or other fault condition in the account. If that is the case, it should be explained to the end user.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 45

@Andy_N wrote:

As I see it, there is only one possible reason for a password change, and that might be to kick-start the account database entry for the user to perhaps clear some debris or other fault condition in the account. If that is the case, it should be explained to the end user.

The only reason that the BT Customer Service get you to change the password is because that is how their generic script runs when ever a person can not send or receive emails because they are "locked" out of their account.

What people should keep in mind is that the first line Customer Services agents are not necessarily very knowledgeable in IT matters. They follow a basic generic scripts to resolve basic problems and to get webmail working NOT email clients.

While BT supply settings for using email clients, BT and all other ISP do not offer support for email clients due to the number of different clients available and having no control over them unlike with webmail.

In an instance where the user has not changed any settings just prior to the problem happening and in particular when they can still access their email via webmail, proving there is nothing wrong with the password,  there is no reason to change your password.

0 Ratings
rsndll
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 45

I agree with the above, it's a shame that there's no procedure in place for users to report faults with email. I've also found that when I've completed the nugatory procedures that the heldesk insist on they can't help anymore because they don't support email clients.

But there should be some way then to getting Yahoo to investigate the problem, which is clearly at their end if it comes and goes without the customer taking any action  (and if it affects completely separate clients that the customer is using).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 45

@rsndll wrote:

But there should be some way then to getting Yahoo to investigate the problem, which is clearly at their end if it comes and goes without the customer taking any action  (and if it affects completely separate clients that the customer is using).

I have been with BT since dial up broadband and this problem has been happening since then so I doubt that there will be much being done now to resolve it.

Lochar24
Beginner
Message 28 of 45

I'm still no further forward with receiving e mails. That's been since Wednesday. Wtf. Surely their must be something I can do😡😡😡
0 Ratings
norreys47
Beginner
Message 29 of 45

Having same problem getting the POP3 server providing inconsistent information message. 

Also have my web email showing 1 unread message in inbox when all are marked as read. Needless to say BT chat line cannot assist

0 Ratings
doggonered
Beginner
Message 30 of 45

Hi,

I seem to have a similar problem with my android phone. And a similar response from BT.

I recently had a repair on my LG G3 that meant a factory reset. Since the reset I can't access my BT email from my app - this worked fine before the reset. I also couldn't access my email from a loan phone during the repair. I've since tried 3 further apps with no joy. The app people say it's BT's problem as do ee. BT say, because I can access webmail, it's not.

Various postings online say the problem can be solved by changing my webmail password - it didn't for me. I've tried manually setting up IMAP and POP but no joy. I usually get a message advising my login details are incorrect (when they're not) or a failed to sync to server message.

Don't know whether this is relevant by this morning I briefly got a message from webmail saying my credentials weren't recognised, then got in a few minutes later using the same credentials.

I'm no tech wiz, but 2 phones and 4 apps does seem to point towards BT...........or me.......

0 Ratings