cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsndll
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 45

I'm unable to send/receive btinternet.com emails using mail clients

I cannot send or receive my btinternet.com emails on multiple clients using POP or IMAP. I can however receive OK via the web.

I have not changed any settings or passwords recently and it is happening on 3 different devices. One uses the Windows mail client, onw uses the Mail app on an iPhone and the other is the Mail app on a Mac desktop.

The Windows client says my password is incorrect but it's the same password that I use to access mail via the web site.

This suddenly started at about 08:30 today.

Is this affecting anyone else?

0 Ratings
44 REPLIES 44
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 45

Re: I'm unable to send/receive btinternet.com emails using mail clients

This sometimes happens and seems to be happening frequently recently. DO NOT make any changes to your settings or passwords. The problem usually resolves itself in a day or two.

Sometimes the problem is resolved by sending an email from webmail.

rsndll
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 45

Thanks for your advice.

I'll wait and see then.

I just find it annoying when the help desk insist on me checking all my seetings on all my devices.

It's like an electrician telling you to change all your lightbulbs when all your lights go out at once.

0 Ratings
Cassie
Contributor
Message 4 of 45

Using Yahoo mail , from 20th July I was not able to receive e-mails to my iMac but could send them.

There was no problem with iphone or ipad so at least that was o.k.

looking at Down Detector site, this problem seems to be ongoing.

However last night Yahoo mail was not sending mail on iPad or phone, receiving but very slow.

I have never tried to change settings, password etc because it does not fix the problem.

On Down Detector's site there are pages and pages of this problem, there has never been an answer as to why this is happening or when it will get fixed.

Looks like lots of people are changing to gmail.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 45

Hi @rsndll & @Cassie

Thanks for the posts and welcome to the community.  

I am very sorry of the problems you are having with using your BT email via a client.  As you haven’t changed anything I would like to investigate this from our end.

Can you please drop me an email, I will need the email addresses in which you are having problems with.  If you click on my profile you will find the ‘Mods contact link’ under the about me section of my profile.

Once we have you details we will raise an investigation internally to see if we can get to the bottom of this problem.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Cassie
Contributor
Message 6 of 45

Thanks DavidM, i will contact you with the info you asked for, but hope you realise it is not just BT Yahoo, Sky customers also use Yahoo and they are also having problems. The Down Detector Outage Map is showing not just the U.K. but America, Philippines and Brazil etc.

Thoughts are that it is Verizon that the problems seem to stem from?

0 Ratings
pig
Contributor
Message 7 of 45

has this been solved? as this is the same problem i'm have but tech cant help
0 Ratings
Cassie
Contributor
Message 8 of 45

I updated from Mavericks to Sierra and was immediately able to receive e-mails!
Weird or what!
0 Ratings
rsndll
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 45

I did what advised and just waited overnight and it fixed itself.

It's happened a few times before to me and I'd agree that it's best not to change any settings on your end - despite what the BT helpdesks tell you. Just sit it out!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 45

@DavidM wrote:

Hi @rsndll & @Cassie

Thanks for the posts and welcome to the community.  

I am very sorry of the problems you are having with using your BT email via a client.  As you haven’t changed anything I would like to investigate this from our end.

Can you please drop me an email, I will need the email addresses in which you are having problems with.  If you click on my profile you will find the ‘Mods contact link’ under the about me section of my profile.

Once we have you details we will raise an investigation internally to see if we can get to the bottom of this problem.

Cheers

David

Ahh, I've just suggested this.

When the "bottom of the problem" is found, it needs to be reported what the fault/issue was/is.

0 Ratings