cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
midlander4
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

I've got a '522 IP REPUTATION BAD' - btinternet not accepting email forwarded from my own domain

Apologies for re-posting this query (originally a comment in another thread) as a new message. 

I appear to have a 'reputation' problem. Overnight, my ability to receive emails has disappeared - a huge blow, both personally and professionally.  It *may* coincide with a recent business trip overseas where I was using my laptop to access email via various Wi-Fi and mobile networks (don't know if that's a red herring, but it does make me wonder).

For many years I've had my domain hosted by easily.co.uk.   I use this service essentially for mail forwarding: emails sent to my "nice" public email address are forwarded by easily to my "ugly" @btinternet.com address.

Since yesterday, all emails sent to my "nice" address are no longer being accepted by btinternet - so I don't even know I'm receiving them.  Here's a typical failure message (I've altered addresses for obvious reasons):

A message sent by

<XXXXXXXXXXX>

could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. The following

address(es) failed:

XXXXXXXXXXX@btinternet.com

(ultimately generated from chris@XXXXX.com)

SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<SRS0+806029bbf5451dde2f56+3990+gmail.com+XXXXXXXX@svcemlmxl03-053138.srs.netbenefit.com> SIZE=3007:

host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk [65.20.0.49]: 522 IP REPUTATION BAD  (please check for IP address listing on reputation services)

A quick check with mxtoolbox.com confirms my fears: I've been "listed in the ivmSIP/24 blacklists, indicating that your IP Address has been identified as a spam-sending server".

Whether it's just some over-zealous security systems getting in the way - or something more sinister - I just don't know. But my obvious question is "how can I stop being blacklisted, and start receiving emails again?"

My frustration/powerlessness is a complete ignorance of who to turn to. BT? My domain host (easily.co.uk)? How do I get them to play nicely again?

Many thanks, and apologies for the obvious newbie lack of knowledge,

Chris

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
custardears
Message 2 of 5

Re: I've got a '522 IP REPUTATION BAD' - btinternet not accepting email forwarded from my own domain

Hiya, no solution for you I'm afraid but we have exactly the same issue - my husband's business emails are forwarded from his own domain (also registered with Easily) to his btopenworld account.  He has had no business emails for 2 days and presumably the customers who have tried to email him are getting the same bounce message I'm getting when I email him (same error as you've recorded, 522 reputation bad).  I too have a domain registered with easily but my ISP/mail account is plusnet - my mail is forwarding absolutely fine.

I've checked his 'registered addresses' in his bt account and his domain address is still there with all the original settings.

Having had a whole weekend of no email 2 weeks ago and now this, I'm considering setting him up with a gmail account and will have the domain forward to that.  It's an absolute pain in the behind but BT is just not dependable enough at the moment Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
midlander4
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Re: I've got a '522 IP REPUTATION BAD' - btinternet not accepting email forwarded from my own domain

Many thanks for the info - there's been a clear pattern emerging over this weekend (26-27 July) from a lot of other people experiencing exactly the same thing. As of tonight (Sunday) I'm still getting *no* mails forwarded from my own domain to btinternet.com

0 Ratings
Highlighted
spackhead
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

yes there are three topics running here all of us with the same problem the other two being

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/BT-is-blocking-my-forwarded-emails/td-p/10652  (old topic rekindled as issues have rearisen)

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Email-delivery-errors/td-p/1326137

Am staggered that after 48 hours no mod has been on any of the topics or any notification put out by BT regarding this issue

midlander4
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Many thanks for this. I am not a technical expert by any means, but am trying to understand at a basic level whether the issue is:

- My own domain host (easily.co.uk) who appears to have developed a toxic reputation overnight?

- Or is it BT stubbornly refusing to accept perfectly valid emails forwarded from another server?
0 Ratings