Since yesterday morning, I'm not able to access the BT mail IMAP server with the standard server settings. That's on my phone using Gmail or the built in mail program. The phone runs Android 7. The error is that the username or password is wrong. They are not. I just set up the account in outlook on Windows 10, so it could be a problem with those specific tools, or with the operating system. I don't currently have a way of pursuing this. I can't get a chat with BT. Gmail doesn't seem to have any direct route to a person. I'm still testing the limits of this problem, but I have no doubt that there is one. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks a lot.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Are you a BT Broadband customer or are you paying for your email account through a BT Premium Email account?
The correct settings are as per the following link.
It is not clear if your Windows 10 Outlook account works or not or if you mean Outlook as in the email client or Outlook.Com the Microsoft webmail. Can you clarify.
Does your email account work when you log onto BTMail webmail using a browser?
I pay (about £80 a year). The setting shown in the BT Help link, are the ones I'm using.
Outlook as an app in Windows 10 can access the mail, so I guess that's an email client. It's not webmail through a browser.
BTMail webmail works fine (through a browser). That's how I know it's not a password problem.
In case that's any help.
Thanks for the contribution.
The password error seems to be a generic error code thrown up when ever the apps can not get connected so I would not lay to much stock on that being the problem.
As you have said, if you can access your email account vis webmail the password is obviously not the problem and iff you can access IMAP using the Outlook app it would appear not to be a server issue.
Have you tried restarting your phone.
Does it happen on both wifi and 3/4g.
Sorry, I didn't think of that. For whatever reason, just restarting the phone allows me to re-register my BT email with Gmail. That's what I wanted in the first place. It's always the simple things. Thanks for your help.
Now, I just have to un-install all the mail apps, I installed to test out the extent of that problem.