cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MAWKY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 28

IMAP not working on Mail for Mac

Without any changes being made, my Mac Mail is not working.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Kev

The error message is;

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “name” or try again.

The server returned the error: The connection to the server “imap.mail.yahoo.com” on port 993 timed out.

Tags (5)
0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
GFawkes
Beginner
Message 2 of 28

Re: IMAP not working on Mail for Mac

I am having the same issue on a pc. cannot connect to server 0x800ccc0e. (via imap port 993)

This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. There is nothing wrong with my settings which have been working for months.

0 Ratings
ShadyCreek
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 28

I had this last weekend. Removed account from Mail, re-added it and all was fine. Can't explain why that fixed it as all of the info was exactly the same, but it did!

I have a feeling Yahoo are tweaking their mail service as Mail automatically added the address as IMAP which it never used to.
0 Ratings
MAWKY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 28

There's something rather odd, as the account details both on the Mac and my iphone are unchanged, yet the Mac can't retrieve emails, but the iphone can.

It would appear that Mail for OS X and bt mail are unable to talk!

0 Ratings
GFawkes
Beginner
Message 5 of 28

I don't think it's your mac. I have a pc and an iphone.

The iphone works fine but outlook (imap) on my pc stopped working for no reason.

if i disconnect my pc from my bt hub and connect through my iphone (teather), i can get mail in outlook.

0 Ratings
MAWKY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 28

I just had a Live Chat with BT

They will fix it if I pay them!  Amazing!

0 Ratings
Pierceyuk
Beginner
Message 7 of 28

Having similar issue with email here... have to pay £15 to get the issue resolved... not bad for having BT infinity for less than a week as a brand new customer.

0 Ratings
Dick777
Contributor
Message 8 of 28

The same thing has happened on my iMac. For several weeks it has started to time out contacting imap.mail.yahoo.com and this got progressively more frequent. Have been unable to connect to BT mail from iMac now for two days, but fine from pop a/c on pc and iPads. The same mac mail connects fine to a none BT pop a/c. I tried deleting the BT imap a/c and reinstalling, but it still refuses to connect to imap.mail. Does anyone know what is going on, as it worked fine for nearly two years on the iMac
0 Ratings
Dick777
Contributor
Message 9 of 28

Further to my earlier post today. Deleting my BT a/c in mac mail yesterday and adding back as new A/C did not work and both my A/c and my wife's continued to time out. I finally went into the a/c settings once more, deleted my password and re-entered it and saved the change. Surprise surprise, this re-established imap contact and downloaded all my folder contents once more. Not only that, it restarted my wife's e-mail in her logiin without the need to delete and re-enter her separate E-mail password. My password is the master for using BT Broadband and somewhere this had got lost/ corrupted in requesting imap mail to our iMac. I hope this is a permanent solution and hope this helps others whose imap service fails.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
SimplyAdam
Beginner
Message 10 of 28

I have been having the same problem with my BT/Yahoo IMAP outgoing mail server for the last few days and have found this solutions that seems to be working - well for now at least.  I am running an iMac OS X 10.8.3

On your Mail select Preferences and go into Accounts.  For each yahoo mail account - I have three - on Account Information in the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) use the drop down menu to Eit SMTP Server List.  

For each account enter in Server Name: apple.smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Good luck