Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
keitht8351
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

IMAP server connection has been closed

Go to solution

I'm attempting to set up e-mail on a Windows 10 system using Outlook2010.  I don't have any difficulty actually setting it up but do keep getting the message above.  Any idea how I can correct this?  No problem using alternative e-mail if required.  My email address is @btinternet.com if relevant.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: IMAP server connection has been closed

Go to solution

@keitht8351wrote:

@I'm attempting to set up e-mail on a Windows 10 system using Outlook2010.  I don't have any difficulty actually setting it up but do keep getting the message above.  Any idea how I can correct this?  No problem using alternative e-mail if required.  My email address is @btinternet.com if relevant.

Just to make sure that you are using the correct servers as detailed here :-

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917

I assume the account access is fine via webmail :-

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

and is the account BTYahoo or BTMail (webmail login will show a Yahoo image for the former).

0 Ratings
keitht8351
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks Andy.

Everything seems to be exactly as defined in the link you provided. 

When I log into BT for my e-mail it has BT and logo in the top left followed by a vertical bar and then Yahoo Mail.

I did try using the standard e-mail system provided with Windows 10 but that was generating an error message to the effect that BT mail is not up to date.

I am receiving e-mail on Outlook but the error message keeps popping up every 10 minutes.  I had previously searched for causes / solutions and one suggested setting server timeout to maximum (10 minutes).  I have done that but all it does is delay the message.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

The win10 mail app setup is a little strange, especially with BTinternet.

I've seen suggestions that the error you're receiving could be due a corrupt email in one of the folders, sync issues - perhaps due to send/receive always set to check every few minutes, and various other reasons.

As you're with BTYahoo, changing to the yahoo servers might also help :-

imap.mail.yahoo.com

and

smtp.mail.yahoo.com

0 Ratings
keitht8351
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Just to clarify, so I don't mess things up.  Is that the Incoming Mail Server and Outgoing Mail Server (SMPT) names which are to be changed?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Yes

0 Ratings
keitht8351
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

I haven't yet made the changes.  When I attempted to go back into Outlook I got this error.   

Cannot open your default e-mail folders. The file C:\Users\User\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst cannot be opened.

I'm inclined to try different e-mail software to see if that works OK.  Any thoughts on good options?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Try Claws mail, I personally think it is preferable to the widely recommended Thunderbird which I find clunky.

Having said that, my mail client of choice is still Outlook 2010 which I use for btinternet mail, gmail, hotmail and my own domain mail.

0 Ratings
keitht8351
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

I changed the settings to map to the Yahoo servers but it won't accept my passwords.  I then tried reverting to the old settings and I'm getting an error message saying the server can't be accessed.

0 Ratings
keitht8351
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Outlook 2010 is now accessing servers OK with the occasional glitch.  I have reverted to the standard options for incoming and outgoing servers.  The more I see, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that the issue is with BT/Yahoo rather than the e-mail package in use.  I'm going to stick with Outlook for the time being and see how things so.

Thank you to everybody who has attempted to assist me.

0 Ratings