cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frustrated2018
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

If I send an email with more than about 5 recipients, the later recipients don't get the email

Recently, whenever I send an email with more than about 5 addressees (I have just become a Town Councillor where the Council has 13 members), all addressees after about the 5th get rejected and not sent, with the message "Server error: '450 4.7.1 Error: too many recipients from 86.181.xxx.xxx' "   I think this must be because of some sort of email policy change on BT's part and they need to fix it.  I have used email intensively since the early 1980s. I used to manage some very large scale IT services and I feel I know enough to say it is not my problem but BT's.  I am using a desktop PC, W7 and up to date MS Outlook.  Can someone please advise me?  This problem is making my job as a Councillor nigh impossible.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: If I send an email with more than about 5 recipients, the later recipients don't get the email

There is a limit of 50 addresses as an anti-spam measure but you shouldn't have a problem sending to 13.

However, I would have thought sending from an official email address rather than a residential ISP address would be more appropriate for a Town Councillor and more reliable.

Frustrated2018
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Re: If I send an email with more than about 5 recipients, the later recipients don't get the email

As I said, I'm getting it after much less than 50, last night's bounce was after 10.  For some while, before I became a councillor, I have been running another community project (to produce a neighbourhood plan) and I am now getting the same problem on that.  It's my choice to use my own email address, as does every other councillor here, and I don't need anyone's advice about that, thanks very much.  If this problem can't be fixed I will change my ISP.  None of my email uses a BT domain - I have used my own for many years specifically so I can change ISP without impacting people I keep contact with by email. I only moved to BT as ISP a few years ago and I can only rate them as dreadful: their web site is a total mess, like a heap of spaghetti; they are very difficult to deal with as on the phone you can't seem to speak with anyone who understands anything.  I alsways advise people to get their own domain name so thay can move ISP easily, as if customers can do that then ISPs will offer better service.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

I may have picked this up wrong but are you saying you are not using a BT email address but you are using your own domain/email address?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

If you are using your own domain, what on earth has the problem to do with BT?
It is your domain's mail server that is rejecting the mail, not BT
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

@Frustrated2018wrote:

Recently, whenever I send an email with more than about 5 addressees (I have just become a Town Councillor where the Council has 13 members), all addressees after about the 5th get rejected and not sent, with the message "Server error: '450 4.7.1 Error: too many recipients from 86.181.xxx.xxx' "   I think this must be because of some sort of email policy change on BT's part and they need to fix it.  I have used email intensively since the early 1980s. I used to manage some very large scale IT services and I feel I know enough to say it is not my problem but BT's.  I am using a desktop PC, W7 and up to date MS Outlook.  Can someone please advise me?  This problem is making my job as a Councillor nigh impossible.

Hi.

As has been said, this is not a BT issue, but an issue with your recipient's system. Are they all using the same domain email address? If so, check with the domain provider.

It's possible that they have a system in place that doesn't like multiple emails sent in a short space of time from one IP address - and hence indicating your internet access.

0 Ratings