cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Importing another btinternet email account from another BTID keeps failing

Hi - I am trying to import my parents' btinternet email account to attach it to my billing account. (They are cancelling their broadband). The email account is currently gifted to a standalone BTID. Do I need to ungift it and regift it back to my email address?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Importing another btinternet email account from another BTID keeps failing

If it is already one of your BTBroadband email accounts that you have gifted, it will already be part of your BTBroadband account. It would only need to be "imported" if it was an email account that your parents set up from their BT Broadband account.

See link about adding email accounts to another BTBroadband account.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/can-i-move-my-bt-email-address-to-another-account...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Hi. Correct - it is an email address they set up from their main account, which is due to close. We originally could not import it because it had not been gifted. We tried to gift it, but during the process of claiming the gifted account it would not allow me to link it to my existing BTID (it kept saying “Sorry” and got stuck in a loop. Therefore we created a new standalone BTID, but now we’re stuck because it says we still need to gift the account when trying to import, and gifting isn’t possible from the standalone BTID because it’s the only email address on the ID.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I think I possibly need to “ungift” from within their account, then try and gift it again back to me.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

If the email account is part of your parents BT Broadband account, it does not need to be gifted to you.

You need to ensure that you have at least one email account set up in your BT Broadband account.

Once you have that you need to log onto your MyBT and go to "Your Products" > "Email, Manage".

Once there go to "Import Email address". Follow the prompts.

Once the email address is moved, it's very important you gift it back to your parents. This means that although their email address is now linked to your account, they keep their own security details and responsibility for the email address.

Once you've done this, they'll be asked to set up a new password and link it to a BT ID. The email address you've moved will then appear in the friends and family section of your email management page.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Hi. We tried this many times - but each time during the import we got to the stage where it says “These email addresses are linked to the BTID you want transfer from. Do you want to transfer this email address?” and it listed the email address we wanted to transfer, and below that there is a No button and Yes button. The Yes button does not do anything. Tried this tens of times. Pressing the button does not do anything - it does not hang, it does not get stuck - it literally does nothing. Pressing the No button instead took me back to my Manage Email page. That’s when we decided to try to gift the account first, as that was the only thing we had not done so thought that must be the cause. Apparently not.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are very busy at present so it can take up to 48 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Thank you👍
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 9

Hi @pabloz,

Thank you for posting. If you send me the details I'll do my best to get those email addresses moved to your BT ID.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact me.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings