cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 58

Re: Impossible to Manage Mail Options in Yahoo! Mail; Unwarranted [Bulk] Strings Prepended to Subjec

@FrustratedCustomer68 wrote:

Thanks.

I think we're agreeing, however given that the Spam filters are rubbish, what is really needed is either:

a) an option on the server to download Spam and yet not prefix its Subject with anything, or

See the option 2 in message 6 above. I have just tried this and it appears to be working (meesage 5 above).

It appears to confirm that the server inserts [Bulk] in the subject.

b) as a workaround, a means of applying a rule when mail arrives in the Client to edit out the '[Bulk]' or whatever string from the Subject. I want these (almost always erroneously classified) [Bulk] e-mails, of which there are many, simply to go into my client's Inbox - which they do - but without the original Subject having been changed. I did try to find a means of setting a rule to remove [Bulk] from the Subject in Outlook, but while I do use lots of different rules for sorting mail based on various criteria, I was unable to see how the Subject can be altered. Perhaps there's a scripting solution but this is currently outside of my knowledge. Also I'm afraid that I haven't enough experience of Thunderbird to know whether one can set a rule of the kind I've described.

There is also another problem with over-zealous spam filters. E-Mail placed in the Spam folder will be removed if it hasn't been downloaded after a period of time (configurable up to 28 days last time I looked). Hence not accessing an account for this length of time could result in loss of e-mail.

My post crossed with the one above.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 58

Re: Impossible to Manage Mail Options in Yahoo! Mail; Unwarranted [Bulk] Strings Prepended to Subjec

Ah, I'm sorry that I didn't spot that.

Given the state of the spam filters this offers hope once I can again access my e-mail options (which I can't currently because I get stuck in an infinite loop of logins, as per my original post). I'll leave it a few days and try again.

Many thanks indeed, however for the moment, pending reconfiguration, and if it's OK with you I'd prefer to refrain from marking this as the Accepted Solution.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 58

Despite setting the option to download spam without setting any special indicators I have still recieved an email prefixed by [Bulk]

Given the state of the spam filters this offers hope once I can again access my e-mail options (which I can't currently because I get stuck in an infinite loop of logins, as per my original post). I'll leave it a few days and try again.

To get out of your infinite loop you need to switch back to Basic Yahoo Mail.

You do this by logging in to webmail,

Click the cogwheel,

Click Settings

This gives you a popup window where you select Basic instead of Fully featured.

Click Save

You find the cogwheel disappears and is replaced by 

basic.JPG

IF you click the down arrow at Account Info the drop down contains Options.
Select Options and click GO

To get back to fully featured after you have made the options changes you want

Click Switch to newest BT Yahoo Mail shown in the image above below Go

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 58

Many thanks for this information: it's very useful indeed.

I've just made the change that you suggested to one of my several e-mail accounts, however I opted not to revert to the fully featured version afterwards since there seemed to be no purpose in doing so.

I've just forwarded a pre-existing test e-mail to myself, which had an endless succession of 'RE: [Bulk]' strings in its subject, and as far as I can see no additional such string was added this time.

I suspect therefore that what you're suggesting might be working for me.

Anyway, I'll monitor for a few days, progressively change the settings of my other accounts, and then report back.

It is frustrating that web mail interfaces are changed by BT Yahoo! without notice, because users of clients will only become aware of what has happened if they feel the need to access the service via the web, which in my case I would rarely do. And if attributes relating to previously selected options relevant to e-mai clients (i.e. POP3, SMTP, IMAP or whatever) are no longer directly configurable, users cannot be confident that the functionaity of their client in respect of exchanges with the mail server will continue to work as had thought that it was.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 58

As promised, an update.

As far as I can tell the suggestion made by licquorice, but clarified for me by vofanity2, appears to have worked. I've therefore marked Message 10 posted by licquorice as the Accepted Solution, although being a little obtuse myself I would not have appreciated the significance of what had been shown without vofsanity2, and in a just world it would have been possible to divide the kudos.

I should perhaps add that I've advised a couple of people whom I e-mail frequently about this fix, and at least one of them has supposedly made the suggested change but to no avail. I don't know why, given that it worked for me, but I suspect a failure to save the change - the Save button doesn't exactly leap out of the screen.

Also of course the fundamental problem is the poor quality spam filters that identify far too many false positives. This solution can only be considered a workaround that users rather than Yahoo can apply, but the downside of it is that e-mails that truly are spam are not identified.

Anyway, once again my thanks to licquorice and to vofsanity2.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 58

Thanks for the update.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 58

You're welcome, however it appears that I posted too soon.

Earlier today I sent a couple of e-mails to myself, using one of my e-mail accounts as the source, and another as the destination. The purpose of this was to transfer two files from one machine to another.

The e-mails that I sent each consisted only of an attachment. There was no text in the body, but the subject was not null.

On downloading to the destination machine the Subject had [Bulk] prepended.

I set the receiving account to Basic, and to download Spam without marking a couple of weeks ago, and repeated this for the originating account a few days ago.

I was beginning to think that we had a solution but clearly not only are BT Yahoo's spam filters rubbish but also their user interfaces don't behave as they purport to.

All in all very disappointing.

Mods: when are we going to see some substantive action on the points raised?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 58

In the absence of anything from the mail team you could try the option 'Don't download spam' as an intermediate stage for a couple of days and then try the 'Download spam with no special indicators' again. Its a very long shot but worth a try. You will need to check webmail for spam in the intermediate period.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 58

Apologies for the delayed reply: for some reason I didn't this time receive an e-mail informing me that someone had posted.

Yes, that is a possibility and I may try it, but it seems to me that Yahoo Mail is such a mess that those of us on the receiving end only could spend an awful lot of time fiddling. The fundamental problem seems to be that as I found out in 2013 the user interface is barely connected to the back end, which indicates an organisation that is perhaps in meltdown rather than chaos. I'm seriously thinking now that I will have to use an alternative e-mail provider and suffer the immense pain of informing all organisations with which I have interactions. If I am forced down this route I will however definitely and on principle leave BT as my service provider, and start lobbying of Ofcom to regulate e-mail. I'm pretty sure that at present it is unregulated, and if so this may explain why BT believes that it can [sic] with a ship of fools like Yahoo.

One other point: I recently acquired, reluctantly, a smart phone. It's an Android device and uses IMAP to communicate with the mail server. Given the appallingly useless Yahoo spam filters, I'd like to configure IMAP to download supposed Spam as well as the contents of my Inbox and yet there seems to be no option to do this either on the client or the Yahoo server. The Yahoo Server only appears to offer this for POP, which is what my desktop and laptop use. Does anyone know if there is a problem here, and whether I'm likely to miss seeing wrongly classified e-mails on the phone? Has IMAP perhaps been designed in an enlightened manner on the assumption that e-mail providers are all utter rubbish?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 58

With IMAP, you don't download your emails in the same way as you do in POP3. IMAP should replicate the folders that are on the BT servers and synchronise with them.

If you go in to the email client that you are using on Android there will be a setting or option somewhere that will allow you to look at the spam folder and either move or delete its contents.

If you post what phone , operating version of Android it uses and which email client you are using I'm sure somebody will be able to point you in the right direction if you can find the spam folder.

0 Ratings