cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 58

Re: Impossible to Manage Mail Options in Yahoo! Mail; Unwarranted [Bulk] Strings Prepended to Subjec

I'm afraid that in my last post I spoke too soon re '[Bulk]'  . . .  I just checked one of my Spam folders on my phone and saw that an e-mail had appeared in it (erroneously of course - this is Yahoo after all). I didn't move it to the Inbox using the phone, but rather logged on to the PC and downloaded e-mail to my client using POP. To my horror the e-mail appeared in my Inbox but had the '[Bulk]' string prepended, despite my configuring the account to download spam [sic] with no markings.

This tells me two things:

1. Configuring the account to download spam [sic] with no markings simply doesn't work, which proves that Yahoo is rubbish.

2. IMAP syncs bidirectionally, which is fine. I know this because earlier today when I moved to my Inbox an e-mail that had erroneously appeared in the Spam folder on my phone, and then downloaded it (and others) to the PC using POP, it wasn't marked, and this can only be because it was downloaded from the Inbox where I had put it.

I'l have to raise with the Mods both item 1., and the fundamental problem that Yahoo's spam filters are absolutely useless to the point that their performance is beyond belief.

If that fails then I will raise it to the MD of BT and/or to the press. Poor functionality and the obvious failure of the Yahoo user interface to invoke the behaviour it purports to configure is unacceptable by any company, let alone one of the supposed stature of BT and Yahoo.

0 Ratings
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 32 of 58

Re: Impossible to Manage Mail Options in Yahoo! Mail; Unwarranted [Bulk] Strings Prepended to Subjec

Could someone tell me how to contact the Mods please? There used to be a 'contact the mods' link somewhere, but I can't see it.

Individual Mods' profiles have links for the sending of private messages but is this the same thing as contacting the Mods in general? Even if it is, I'm reluctant personally to choose a particular Mod to contact about the Yahoo Mail issues I've been highlighting: the person I chose might feel that I was being cruel to them.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 58

The moderator do not reply to PMs. The link to contact the moderators is only opened up to you if the moderators post on your thread that they can help you.

See link for explanation.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/Change-of-Mods-Contact-Us-link/td-p/93164...

0 Ratings
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 34 of 58

Thanks.

Having read the "Change of Mods 'Contact Us' link" article it appears that I have to appeal for Mod intervention here, so I hereby do.

The matters I have raised certainly appear to fall into the category of "back end  . . . fixes that community members will never be able to resolve", and what I am asking for, in order of priority and, I would think, ease of implementation, is as follows:

1. A fixing of the problem that user-configurable options relating to the download via POP of BT Yahoo Mail are not implemented. Specifically e-mail identified by BT Yahoo as Spam is still being marked as [Bulk] even though the option to eliminate all markings appears to be available to users and has been chosen.

2. A fixing of the problem that there is very frequent mis-identification of false positives by the BT Yahoo Spam filters, and almost always for no obvious reason.

3. A statement by BT of what is happening about the migration of customers from BT Yahoo to BT Mail. I believe that this proceeded for a while but was then suspended. If the project has been a success then it should continue until all customers are off BT Yahoo Mail. If on the other hand it has beena failure then either customers migrated to BT Mail should be switched back to Yahoo or better still all customers should be migrated, if necessary in stages, to a third, and hopefully this time fit for purpose, e-mail service.

Thanks in anticipation.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 58

As regards your third request:

It has been reported on this forum many times that the migration from BTYahoo to BTMail is on indefinite hold. No reason has been given by BT for this situation.

I don't think it can be classed as either a success or a failure. Personally speaking I have been migrated from BTYahoo to BTMail and have had no problems. All new customers to BT are automatically put onto the BTMail system. I suspect that there is no chance you will get any further comment from BT about it.

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take over 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 58

@FrustratedCustomer68 I'm really sorry about the problems you're having with your BT email service. 

1. We'll be happy to raise a case with BT Yahoo regarding the spam being marked as [Bulk] and get that investigated.
  2. Regrettably this is not something that we would be able to fix here but we can pass you feed back on to the email team. 
  3. I can see that @gg30340 has answered this point in the previous post.

Please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 58

Thanks to gg30340 and to NeilO. I've raised the first two of my three points via a message to the mods and will await further developments.

I can well see that my third point won't be answered via the Forum. I sense that here is something very big indeed at the root of this, but it will become an irrelevance to me if even just my first point can be addressed.

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 58

Hi @FrustratedCustomer68,

Thanks for sending over the details. I tried calling today, sorry I missed you. I've raised this to our yahoo email tech guys to look into. They'll be in touch on the next few days but I've opened a case to shadow this in case there are any problems. can you post back and let me know when they call and how it goes?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 39 of 58

Hi DavidM

Sorry I missed your call - I'm not sure what went wrong because I did try to answer but somehow fumbled it.

Anyway, I'll post back when I hear something from the email tech people.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 40 of 58

The e-mail tech people tried to reach me yesterday but unfortunately I couldn't answer as I was driving.

Anyway, in case it helps, I had a look at the headers of one or two of the emails wrongly classified as [Bulk]. Obviously there's a lot of information in there, but in the case of one such e-mail, these two items - though not adjacent - stood out as apparently relevant:

X-YahooFilteredBulk: 65.20.0.226

X-Junkmail-Premium-Raw: score=8/50

The first item rather nails the suggestion that my mail client is implicated, though to reiterate, I wouldn't be concerned if my opting via a Mail Option on the server to have "Spam" delivered with no marking was being obeyed.

The second item, at least to a layman, suggests that the spam filters are up the creek, since surely a score of 8/50 would not merit (mis-)identification as spam, either true spam or supposed Bulk.

The only odd [sic] feaure of this e-mail was as follows. I had the temerity to initiate an exchange by sending an e-mail to two recipients, both users of btinternet. On downloading at their end a [Bulk] was apparently prepended to the subject. One of the recipients then replied to me, CCing the other. On downloading this reply via POP at my end I then saw two [Bulk] strings in the subject (i.e. [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] <The Subject>), despite having configured POP not to mark Spam.

Sorry if I'm using e-mail in a way that Yahoo doesn't like or didn't expect. Were  I a child I'd no doubt have used Messenger instead but I'm not.

0 Ratings