cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ey7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Impossible to use client mail programs (Outlook on PC or Mail app on IPhone with my bt email address

For around a month, I have not been able to use Outlook on the PC or the native Mail app on the iPhone with my btinternet email address. I used to have intermittent problems with it, and the support desk usually told me to delete the account on the client app and add it back - and that often worked. But now it does not, and nothing seems to work. BT support has even tried to do it themselves (using their ability to take over my screen). They have failed in all attempts. Now they are neglecting to respond to my further requests for help.

It appears that the problem is related to the fact that I have an old email address (more than 15 years old) that started out as a btopenworld address. I have other email addresses on my account and they all work fine on all devices. Only my main address is experiencing the issue. Webmail works fine, although I find that often my email address is "Locked" and I have to unlock it on my MyBT account.

I am ready to leave BT after so many years, as I feel that another provider will not cause me this problem. I'd like to know if anyone else has this problem, and if anyone has successfully solved it.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Impossible to use client mail programs (Outlook on PC or Mail app on IPhone with my bt email add

First of all the age of your email address has absolutely no bearing on the problem, mine dates from day1 of BT's email system and works fine. Ensure you are entering the eamil address as xxxx@btinternet.com and not xxxx@btopenworld.com when setting up the accounts.

Second there is no need to leave BT as an ISP if you want to use a different email address, Gmail works whatever the ISP.

Third a suggestion to try. Turn off your iPhone and any other device that attampts to collect mail, shut down Outlook on your PC and then change your password in webmail. Wait for about an hour to give the password chance to sync and then try Outlook with the new password, if succesful, repeat with iPhone and other devices one at a time.

0 Ratings
ey7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Re: Impossible to use client mail programs (Outlook on PC or Mail app on IPhone with my bt email add

Thank you for your response, however BT themselves have stated that the problem is most likely related to the age of the account. They could be wrong, of course, but I am just quoting them.

As for shutting down the other devices, changing passwords, etc, I have tried many variations of that already as has the BT support team themselves (as I mentioned, they did a screen takeover and tried it themselves) - by their admission the problem is on their side and they claimed they would have it fixed soon.

Leaving BT: it's not because I'd need to to use other email services, of course, it's because BT has provided very poor customer service to a long time customer. That being said - I'd still like to have this working until the day I may leave BT (I am currently in the middle of a contract with them - so I'd have to argue with them to get out of it).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

I will ask if the mods can take this up for you,they will post an invite on the thread.

I can assure you the age of the account has no bearing on the problem.

0 Ratings
ey7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Maybe when I said "age" of the account, I was not precise. BT Level 2 Support team (whoever they are 😉 ) have said that the problem is related to my email originally being a btopenworld address and associated with BT Yahoo. Those characteristics are associated with the age of the account, as far as I understand - so that's what they probably meant. Or, they're completely wrong - I really don't know at this point.

I'd appreciate any assistance from the mods, as I've tried everything I can up to now.

Thank you

0 Ratings
ey7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 21

One more clue for anyone who might have any ideas: the email address that is failling is the one that is also my BT ID (and which therefore uses the same password as the BT ID). the 4 other email addresses on my account, which are not the BT ID, work fine on all devices (Outlook, iPhone Mail, etc).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

Are you using xxxx@btopenworld or xxxx@btinternet for your BTID?

0 Ratings
ey7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 21

btinternet

I haven't used btopenworld for either for many years - however, I can log in using either.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Hi @ey7777  and welcome.

Thanks for posting about the email issue. I think we'll need to take a closer look at this for you. I've sent you a Private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team.
Check here: https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

In the meantime please keep updating the thread with any other information you think is relevant.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 21

@ey7777wrote:

Maybe when I said "age" of the account, I was not precise. BT Level 2 Support team (whoever they are 😉 ) have said that the problem is related to my email originally being a btopenworld address and associated with BT Yahoo. Those characteristics are associated with the age of the account, as far as I understand - so that's what they probably meant. Or, they're completely wrong - I really don't know at this point.

I'd appreciate any assistance from the mods, as I've tried everything I can up to now.

Thank you

Hi.

The issue might be a sync issue. You've not changed passwords recently have you? If so, try the old password in the app/client.

You could try the full email address including @btopenworld.com, and if that fails use @btinternet.com

I assume you're using the correct settings (and not the yahoo servers).

What is certain as licquorice said, the age of the account is not relevant and the help desk are wrong. Indeed back in the early 2000s, BTinternet as an ISP started using btopenworld.com as email addresses when broadband started (though btinternet.com was still mirrored). Yahoo took over the mail system in around 2004, and was completely separate to btopenworld or btinternet.

As your other accounts are fine (and you can access via webmail), hopefully the mods can help out here and check the account status. It might be due to a lockout for app/client access based on what you've said earlier, which is a system problem and a totally over zealous security measure. Others have had a similar type of issue in the past.

0 Ratings